Lead production from recycled paste of lead acid batteries with SiC-Na2CO3
- 67 Downloads
A novel pyrometallurgical route was used to reduce the lead paste to obtain metallic lead with different additions of sodium carbonate at 850°C in a silicon carbide crucible. The process allows to obtain a high recovery of metallic lead in a single step and a slag constituted mainly by lead silicate. Products obtained were characterized by atomic absorption, X-ray powder diffraction and SEM-EDS techniques. A thermodynamic study was carried out with the software FactSage to determinate the compounds formation to the experimental conditions. High amounts of Na2CO3 and SiC promoted the formation of a lead sulfide compound which decreased the lead recovery.
Keywordslead paste reduction pyrometallurgical batteries thermodynamic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Besser, A., Sorokina, V., Sokolov, O., and Paretskii, V., Processing of utilized lead—Acid storage batteries—The basis of lead recycling, Russ. Metall. (Eng. Transl.), 2009, vol. 8, pp. 781–787.Google Scholar
- 7.Olper, M. and Maccagni, M., Pb Battery recycling, new frontiers in paste desulphurization and lead production, in The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Lead and Zinc, 2008, pp. 237–246.Google Scholar
- 8.Prengaman, R.D. and Ellis, T.W., 12th International Battery Material and Recycling Seminar, Fort Lauderdale Fl, 2008.Google Scholar
- 9.Vest, H., Fundamentals of the recycling of lead-acid batteries, 2002, Infogate. http://wwwgtzde/gate/Google Scholar
- 17.The Commission for Environmental Cooperation of North America: Practices and Options for an Ecological Handling of Exhausted Lead Acid Batteries at North America, 2007. http://wwwcecorg/Storage/61/ 5352_SLABs-finaldec07_espdf. Cited December, 2010.Google Scholar
- 18.Bale, C., Pelton A., and Thompson, W., Facility for the Analysis of Chemical Thermodynamics (FACTSage v 6.3), 2012, User’s guide.Google Scholar
- 19.Sánchez, A., Estudio de la reductión de pastas de baterías de plomo ácidas recicladas, Dissertation ESIQIE-IPN, México D.F., 2013 (in Spanish).Google Scholar
- 20.Reddy, M., Development of new organic synthetic methods based on transition metal reagents and aromatic radical anions, Ph.D. Thesis, India: University of Hyderabad, 1995.Google Scholar
- 21.Besser, A.D., Sorokina, V.S., and Paretskii, V.M., Elektrometallurgiya, 2009, vol. 3, pp. 2–9.Google Scholar