The influence of interphase characteristics on the attraction of particles in aqueous and gaseous media
- 45 Downloads
The dependence of the attraction energy of particles on the formation of thin layers on their surface with characteristics different from those of dispersion medium has been investigated. It is shown that at local reduction of the water density or formation of gaseous interlayer on the surface of hydrophobic particles, their attraction at small distances substantially increases. In contrast, the formation of a thin layer of water on the surface of hydrophilic particles in the air leads to weakening of their attraction. The most pronounced effect is obtained for the energy of interaction of hydrophobic disperse particle and bubble: the interaction value and sign changes depending on the specific ratio of parameters.
Keywordshydrophobicity hydrophilicity dispersion forces Hamaker constant van der Waals energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Derjaguin, B.V. and Landau, L., Acta Phys. Chim., 1941, vol. 14, pp. 633–662.Google Scholar
- 2.Verwey, E.J. and Overbeek, J.T., Theory of the Stability of Lyophobic Colloids, New York: Elsevier, 1948.Google Scholar
- 3.Deryagin, B.V., Churaev, N.V., and Muller, V.M., Poverkhnostnye sily (Surface Forces), Moscow: Nauka, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Russel, W.B., Saville, D.A., and Schowalter, W.R., Colloidal Dispersions, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.Schwendel, D., Hayashi, T., Dahint, R., et al., Ibid., 2003, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 2284–2292.Google Scholar
- 12.Mezger, M., Reichert, H., Scho, S., et al., Ibid., 2006, vol. 103, no. 49, pp. 18401–18404.Google Scholar
- 18.Pan, L., Jung, S., and Yoon, R.-H., Ibid., 2011, vol. 361, no. 1, pp. 321–330.Google Scholar
- 19.Pell, M., Gas Fluidization, Amsterdam, New York: Elsevier, 1990.Google Scholar
- 21.Dukhin, S., Zhu, Ch., Dave, R.N., and Yu, Q., Adv. Colloid. Interface Sci., 2005, vol. 114/115, pp. 119–131.Google Scholar