Effect of multiple elastic scattering on X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy signals over a wide range of energy loss
- 25 Downloads
Spectra from X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) measured over a wide range of energy loss are analyzed. The analytic description of XPS spectra over a wide range of energy loss is based on a precise solution to the problem of elastic scattering of photoelectrons in solids. A precise numerical solution is obtained by means of discrete ordinates method. The XPS spectrum is represented as a series by quantity of inelastic scattering. The inconsistency of ignoring multiple elastic processes by using straight line approximations (SLAs) in describing XPS energy spectra is demonstrated.
KeywordsElastic Scattering Inelastic Scattering Reflection Function Discrete Ordinate Elastic Peak
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Afanas’ev, V.P., Efremenko, D.S., and Lubenchenko, A.V., On the application of the invariant imbedding method and the radiative transfer equation codes for the surface state analysis, in Light Scattering Reviews, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, pp. 363–423.Google Scholar
- 7.Hajati, S. and Tougaard, S., J. Surf. Anal., 2009, vol. 15, p. 220.Google Scholar
- 10.NIST XPS Database. http://www.nist.gov/srdata/xps
- 11.Werner, W.S.M. http://eapclu.iap.tuwien.ac.at/~werner/index.html
- 12.Ambartsumyan, V.A., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Ser. Geogr. Geofiz., 1942, vol. 97, p. 3.Google Scholar
- 14.Sobolev, V.V., Rasseyanie sveta v atmosferakh planet (Light Scattering in Planets Atmosphere), Moscow: Nauka, 1972, p. 336.Google Scholar