Design of a negative conductance dielectric resonator oscillator for X-band applications
An X-band tunable microwave low-phase noise planar oscillator employing a novel-fed dielectric resonator (DR) with a single transistor has been investigated and realized. A ZrSnTi oxide composite ceramic-based DR with dielectric permittivity of 95 enclosed in a metallic cavity with an unloaded Q factor of 5,000 at 10 GHz is proposed. The resonant frequency affinity with respect to geometric parameters is established by using the compensation technique based on dual negative conductance feedback, the outputs of which are combined via a Wilkinson power divider (WPD). The feedback parallel-coupled DR oscillator is incorporated into a laminate microwave board using the photolithographic technique. The oscillator includes a pseudomorphic low noise amplifier based on a high-electron-mobility transistor. Hence, the proposed oscillator with mechanic tuning is measured, and the results show that DR resonates at TE 01δ mode with frequency of 10 GHz. The measured phase noise of the oscillator is –81.03 dBc/Hz at a 100 kHz offset.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.GED 2013. Dielectric Resonator Oscillator (DRO Information). General Electronic Devices. URI: http://www.gedlm.com/DRO.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Wan, “Design of a 5.305 GHz dielectric resonator oscillator with simulation and optimization,” J. Electronic Science Technol. China 6, No. 3, 342 (2008). URI: http://manu50.magtech.com.cn/Jwk_jest/EN/Y2008/V6/I3/342.Google Scholar
- 4.Guoguang Yan, “The design of the Ku band dielectric resonator oscillator,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Electronic Packaging Technology & High Density Packaging, ICEPT-HDP, 28-31 Jul. 2008, Shanghai, China (IEEE, 2008), pp. 1–3. DOI: 10.1109/ICEPT.2008.4607000.Google Scholar
- 5.B. Sun, Y. Wu, B. Luo, G. Du, “Design of 5.8 GHz dielectric resonator oscillator applied in electronic toll collection,” Proc. of 5 Int. Conf. on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, WiCom, 24-26 Sept. 2009, Beijing, China (IEEE, 2009), pp. 1–3. DOI: 10.1109/WICOM.2009.5303409.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Tanaka, M. Aikawa, “A K-band push-push oscillator using dielectric resonator,” Proc. of 13 Int. Symp. on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics and the Canadian Radio Science Meeting, ANTEM/URSI, 15-18 Feb. 2009, Toronto, ON, Canada (IEEE, 2009), pp. 1–4. DOI: 10.1109/ANTEMURSI.2009.4805120.Google Scholar
- 8.Han-Li Liu, Lang Wang, Guo-Wei Lin, “Design of a K-band push-push dielectric resonator oscillator,” Proc. of Int. Workshop on Electromagnetics; Applications and Student Innovation, iWEM, 6-9 Aug. 2012, Chengdu, Sichuan, China (IEEE, 2012), pp. 1–2. DOI: 10.1109/iWEM.2012.6320369.Google Scholar
- 9.Q. Xia, Z. Tang, B. Zhang, “Design of a 17.4GHz push-push dielectric resonator oscillator,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT, 8-11 May 2010, Chengdu, China (IEEE, 2010), pp. 532–535. DOI: 10.1109/ICMMT.2010.5525221.Google Scholar
- 16.O. Llopis, J.-M. Dienot, J. Verdier, R. Plana, M. Gayral, J. Graffeuil, “Analytic investigation of frequency sensitivity in microwave oscillators: Application to the computation of phase noise in a dielectric resonator oscillator,” Annales Des Télécommunications 51, No. 3–4, 121 (1996). DOI: 10.1007/BF02995502.Google Scholar
- 17.P. R. Herczfeld, A. Daryoosh, C. D’Ascenzo, M. Contarino, A. Rosen, “Optically tuned and FM modulated X-band dielectric resonator oscillator,” Proc. of 14th European Microwave Conf., 10-13 Sept. 1984, Liege, Belgium (IEEE, 1984), pp. 268–273. DOI: 10.1109/EUMA.1984.333407.Google Scholar
- 21.A. Petosa, Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook (Artech House, 2007).Google Scholar
- 23.T. Shen, K. A. Zaki, C. Wang, J. Deriso, “Tunable dielectric resonators with dielectric tuning disks in cylindrical enclosures,” Proc. of IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 11-16 June 2000, Boston, MA, USA (IEEE, 2000), vol. 3, pp. 1441–1444. DOI: 10.1109/MWSYM.2000.862245.Google Scholar
- 24.G. D. Vendelin, A. M. Pavio, U. L. Rohde, Microwave Circuit Design Using Linear and Nonlinear Techniques (Wiley, New York, 1990).Google Scholar
- 26.I. J. Bahl and P. Bhartia, Microwave Solid State Circuit Design (Wiley, New York, 1988).Google Scholar