Polarized X-band Doppler radar scatterometer for investigation of microwave scattering of the wavy water surface in laboratory conditions
- 17 Downloads
The paper describes an experimental model of continuous wave X-band Doppler radar scatterometer (sine frequency modulation) designed for physics investigation of radio waves scattering from sea surface in controlled conditions. The prototype is developed and fabricated at the IAP RAS. Its main feature is adaptation to the conditions of a laboratory modeling in the wind-wave flumes to investigate the dependence of the normalized radar cross-section (NRCS) on the wind speed. The design of the microwave and antenna systems allows measurement of scattered radiation power and its Doppler spectrum both at linear co- and cross-polarizations (in a sequential switching mode). This is important from the viewpoint of studying the waves at high wind speeds. The detailed description of the design and its specifications are presented. Also the problems of calibration and results of experimental operation on the high-speed wind-wave flume of IAP RAS are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. Yu. Yurovsky, I. A. Sergievskaya, S. A. Ermakov, B. Chapron, I. A. Kapustin, O. V. Shomina, “Influence of wind wave breakings on a millimeter-wave radar backscattering by the sea surface,” Phys. Oceanography, No. 4, 37 (2015). DOI: 10.22449/1573-160X-2015-4-34-45.Google Scholar
- 2.G. P. Kulemin, V. B. Razskazovskii, The Small-Angle Scattering of Millimeter Waves by the Earth’s Surface [in Russian] (Naukova Dumka, Kyiv, 1987).Google Scholar
- 5.V. F. Kravchenko, V. I. Lutsenko, I. V. Lutsenko, Scattering of Radio Waves by Sea and Detection of Objects on the Its Background [in Russian] (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2015). ISBN 978-5-9221-1613-8.Google Scholar
- 13.B. Zhang, W. Perrie, Y. He, “Wind speed retrieval from RADARSAT-2 quad-polarization images using a new polarization ratio model,” J. Geophys. Res. 116, No. C8, C08008 (2011). DOI: 10.1029/2010JC006522.Google Scholar
- 18.J. Uher, J. Bornemann, U. Rosenberg, Waveguide Components for Antenna Feed Systems: Theory and CAD (Artech House, Michigan University, 1993).Google Scholar
- 20.A. S. Vinitsky, Autonomous Radio Systems: Manual for Higher Education Institutions [in Russian] (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1986).Google Scholar
- 21.M. I. Skolnik, Radar Handbook, Vol. 3: Radars Systems, 3rd ed. (McGraw-Hill Education, 2008).Google Scholar