The use of asynchronous sigma-delta modulation in analog-signal sampling based on event-timing techniques
- 44 Downloads
The possibility of using asynchronous sigma-delta modulation in primary signal converters for precision event timers is considered. A demodulation method based on the moving averaging of a signal and on using the measurements of zero-crossing instants is investigated. The moving averaging of a signal is shown to minimize the effect of timing errors on the accuracy of recovering the waveform of demodulated signals.
Keywordsevent timing sampling asynchronous sigma-delta modulation waveform time instants time interval moving average
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Artyukh, Yu., Vedin, V., and Rybakov, A., A new approach to high performance continuous time interval counting, Proceeding of the XI Polish National Conference Application of Microprocessors in Automatic Control and Measurements, 1998, Warsaw, pp. 139–143.Google Scholar
- 3.Artyukh, Yu., Bespal’ko, V., and Boole, E., Potential of the DSP-based method for fast precise event timing, Electronics and Electrical Engineering-Kaunas: Technologija, 2009, no. 4 (92), pp. 19–22.Google Scholar
- 4.Artyukh, Yu., Bespal’ko, V., Lapushka, K., and Rybakov, A., Event timing system for Riga SLR Station, Proceedings of the 15th International Workshop on Laser Ranging, Canberra, 2008, vol. 2, pp. 306–310.Google Scholar
- 6.Stone, R.B., US Patent 3491305, Fm demodulator zero-crossing detector, 1970.Google Scholar
- 8.Kay, S.M., US Patent 5301123, Zero crossing based spectrum analyzer and method, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.Health and Usage Monitoring Systems Toolkit, US Joint Helicopter Safety Implementation Team, 2013. http://www.ihst.org/portals/54/Toolkit_HUMS.pdf.Google Scholar
- 10.Cutler, C.C., US Patent 2927962, Transmission Systems Employing Quantization, 1960.Google Scholar
- 11.Roza, E., US Patent 6087968, Analog to digital converter comprising an asynchronous sigma delta modulator and decimating digital filter, 2000.Google Scholar
- 12.Lazar, A.A. and Toth, L.T., US Patent 7573956, Time encoding and decoding of a signal, 2009.Google Scholar
- 13.Lazar, A.A., Simonyi, K., and Toth, L.T., US Patent 9014216, Real-time time encoding and decoding machines, 2015.Google Scholar
- 15.Analog Devices, Kester, W., Ed., Data Conversion Handbook (Analog Devices), 2005.Google Scholar