A formal model and verification problems for software defined networks
Software Defined Networking (SDN) is an approach to building computer networks that separate and abstract data planes and control planes of these systems. In a SDN a centralized controller manages a distributed set of switches. A set of open commands for packet forwarding and flow table updating was defined in the form of a protocol known as OpenFlow. In this paper we describe an abstract formal model of SDN, introduce a tentative language for specification of SDN forwarding policies, and set up formally model-checking problems for SDNs.
Keywordssoftware defined network switch controller forwarding rule packet formal model specification model checking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Open Flow Switch Specification. Version 1.4.0, 2013. www.opennetworking.org
- 3.Al-Shaer, E., Marrero, W., El-Atawy, A., and El Badawi, K., Network configuration in a box: Toward end-to-end verification of network reachability and security, Proc. 17th IEEE Int. Conf. on Network Protocols (ICNP’09), Princeton, USA, 2009, pp. 123–132.Google Scholar
- 4.Mai, H., Khurshid, A., Agarwal, R., Caesar, M., Godfrey, R.B., and King, S.T., Debugging of the data plane with anteater, Proc. Assoc. for Compt. Mach. SIGCOMM Conf., 2011, pp. 290–301.Google Scholar
- 5.Kazemian, P., Varghese, G., and McKeown, N., Header space analysis: Static checking for networks, Proc. 9th USENIX Symp. on Networked Systems Design and Implementation 2012.Google Scholar
- 6.Khurshid, A., Zhou, W., Caesar, M., and Godfrey, P.B., VeriFlow: Verifying network-wide invariants in real time, Proc. Int. Conf. “Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking” (HotSDN), 2012, pp. 49–54.Google Scholar
- 7.Gutz, S., Story, A., Schlesinger, C, and Foster, N., Splendid isolation: A slice abstraction for software defined networks, Proc. Int. Conf. “Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking”(HotSDN), 2012, pp. 79–84.Google Scholar
- 8.Reitblatt, M., Foster, N., Rexford, J., and Walker, D., Consistent updates for software-defined networks: Change you can believe in!, HotNets, 2011, vol. 7.Google Scholar
- 9.Reitblatt, M., Foster, N., Rexford, J., Schlesinger, C., and Walker, D., Abstractions for network update, Proc. Assoc. for Compt. Mach. SIGCOMM Conf., 2012, pp. 323–334.Google Scholar
- 10.Canini, M., Venzano, D., Peresini, P., Kostic, D., and Rexford, J., A NICE way to test Open Flow applications, Proc. Networked Systems Design and Implementation, 2012.Google Scholar
- 14.Galil, Z., Hierarchies of complete problems, Acta Informatica, 1976, no. 6, pp. 77–88.Google Scholar