A formal model and verification problems for software defined networks
- 190 Downloads
Software Defined Networking (SDN) is an approach to building computer networks that separate and abstract data planes and control planes of these systems. In a SDN a centralized controller manages a distributed set of switches. A set of open commands for packet forwarding and flow table updating was defined in the form of a protocol known as OpenFlow. In this paper we describe an abstract formal model of SDN, introduce a tentative language for specification of SDN forwarding policies, and set up formally model-checking problems for SDNs.
Keywordssoftware defined network switch controller forwarding rule packet formal model specification model checking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Open Flow Switch Specification. Version 1.4.0, 2013. www.opennetworking.org
- 3.Al-Shaer, E., Marrero, W., El-Atawy, A., and El Badawi, K., Network configuration in a box: Toward end-to-end verification of network reachability and security, Proc. 17th IEEE Int. Conf. on Network Protocols (ICNP’09), Princeton, USA, 2009, pp. 123–132.Google Scholar
- 4.Mai, H., Khurshid, A., Agarwal, R., Caesar, M., Godfrey, R.B., and King, S.T., Debugging of the data plane with anteater, Proc. Assoc. for Compt. Mach. SIGCOMM Conf., 2011, pp. 290–301.Google Scholar
- 5.Kazemian, P., Varghese, G., and McKeown, N., Header space analysis: Static checking for networks, Proc. 9th USENIX Symp. on Networked Systems Design and Implementation 2012.Google Scholar
- 6.Khurshid, A., Zhou, W., Caesar, M., and Godfrey, P.B., VeriFlow: Verifying network-wide invariants in real time, Proc. Int. Conf. “Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking” (HotSDN), 2012, pp. 49–54.Google Scholar
- 7.Gutz, S., Story, A., Schlesinger, C, and Foster, N., Splendid isolation: A slice abstraction for software defined networks, Proc. Int. Conf. “Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking”(HotSDN), 2012, pp. 79–84.Google Scholar
- 8.Reitblatt, M., Foster, N., Rexford, J., and Walker, D., Consistent updates for software-defined networks: Change you can believe in!, HotNets, 2011, vol. 7.Google Scholar
- 9.Reitblatt, M., Foster, N., Rexford, J., Schlesinger, C., and Walker, D., Abstractions for network update, Proc. Assoc. for Compt. Mach. SIGCOMM Conf., 2012, pp. 323–334.Google Scholar
- 10.Canini, M., Venzano, D., Peresini, P., Kostic, D., and Rexford, J., A NICE way to test Open Flow applications, Proc. Networked Systems Design and Implementation, 2012.Google Scholar
- 14.Galil, Z., Hierarchies of complete problems, Acta Informatica, 1976, no. 6, pp. 77–88.Google Scholar