Correlation between central receiver size and solar field using flat heliostats
- 60 Downloads
In Central Receiver Systems (CRSs), thousands of heliostats track the sunrays and reflect beam radiation on to a receiver surface. The size of the reflected image and the extent of reflection from the heliostats are one of the important criteria that need to be taken into account while designing a receiver, since spillage losses may vary from 2 to 16% of the total losses. The present study aims to determine the size of an external cylindrical receiver, such that the rays reflected from all the heliostats in the field are intercepted. A dimensionless correlation with respect to tower height and receiver size (diameter and height) as a function of heliostat size and its position is discussed in the paper. This correlation could be used as a first-order approximation to estimate the receiver dimensions. When applied to the Ivanpah Solar Electricity Generating Station (ISEGS) plant, the correlation yields satisfactory estimation of receiver dimensions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.NREL, Concentrating Solar Power Projects-Solar- PACES, in Conc. Sol. Power Proj., 2014. http:// www.nrel.gov/csp/solarpaces/. Accessed May 2, 2016.Google Scholar
- 6.Augsburger, G., Thermo-Economic Optimisation of Large Solar Tower Power Plants, 2013. https://infoscience. epfl.ch/record/183139/files/EPFL_TH5648.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2016.Google Scholar
- 7.William, B.S. and Michael, G., Power from the Sun, 2001. http://www.powerfromthesun.net/book.html. Accessed June 10, 2014.Google Scholar
- 10.Clifford, K.H., Software and Codes for Analysis of Concentrating Solar Power Technologies, Sandia National Laboratories, SAND 2008-8053, 2008, pp. 1–35. http://prod.sandia.gov/techlib/access-control. cgi/2008/088053.pdf. Accessed April 10, 2016.Google Scholar
- 11.Sebastian, J.B. and Paul, G., Review of Optical Software for use in Concentrating Solar Power Systems, 2012, pp. 1–8. http://concentrating.sun.ac.za/wp-content/ uploads/2012/06/CSP-06.pdf. Accessed April 10, 2016.Google Scholar
- 12.Wendelin, T., SOLTRACE Optical Modeling Software, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), pp. 9–12. http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy14osti/59163.pdf. Accessed May 10, 2016.Google Scholar
- 14.Wei, X., Lu, Z., Lin, Z., et al., Optimization procedure for design of heliostat field layout of a 1 MWe solar tower thermal power plant, Proc. SPIE, 2007, vol. 6841, pp. 684119/1–10.Google Scholar
- 16.Plotkin, A.R., Toupin, K.M., Gillum, C.B., et al., ASME: Solar receiver steam generator design for the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, Energy-Tech., 2012. http://www.energy-tech.com/turbines_- generators/article_b38acbf3-2aa2-524f-8f76-42658- d611f82.html. Accessed August 10, 2016.Google Scholar