Influence of the Lattice Parameter on the Low-Temperature Brittle Failure of Metals
- 11 Downloads
Abstract—The brittle failure of metals at low temperatures is analyzed. It is shown that the ductile–brittle transition temperature depends on the lattice parameter: with increase in the lattice parameter, the ductile–brittle transition temperature falls. The brittle failure of a material depends on its crystal lattice and its electron structure and on whether impurities are present at the grain boundaries. Increase in brittle strength of steels by optimization of their heat treatment is proposed.
Keywords:low-temperature strength brittle failure lattice parameter heat treatment
Financial support was provided by the Russian Science Fund under a grant for hardware and software development in smart remote diagnostics of transport and other infrastructure in the Arctic.
- 1.Savitskii, E.M. and Burkhanov, G.S., Metallovedenie tugoplavkikh i redkikh metallov (Metal Science of Refractory and Rare Metals), Moscow: Nauka, 1973.Google Scholar
- 2.Trefilov, V.I., Mil’man, Yu.V., and Firstov, S.A., Fizicheskie osnovy prochnosti tugoplavkikh metallov (Physical Basis of Strength of Refractory Metals), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1975.Google Scholar
- 3.Novikov, I.I., Thermodynamic aspects of plastic deformation and fracture of metals, in Fiziko-mekhanicheskie i teplofizicheskie svoistva metallov (Physical-Mechanical and Thermophysical Properties of Metals), Moscow: Nauka, 1976, pp. 170–179.Google Scholar
- 4.Grigorovich, V.K., Metallicheskaya svyaz’ i struktura metallov (Metal Bond and Metal Structure), Moscow: Nauka, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Svoistva elementov: spravochnik. Chast’ 1. Fizicheskie svoistva (Properties of Elements, Part 1: Physical Properties), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1976.Google Scholar
- 8.Aleksandrov, V.V., Borzyak, A.I., Boyarskii, S.V., et al., Plastic deformation and destruction of metals at low temperatures, in Fiziko-mekhanicheskie i teplofizicheskie svoistva metallov (Physical-Mechanical and Thermophysical Properties of Metals), Moscow: Nauka, 1976, pp. 179–183.Google Scholar
- 9.Klyavin, O.V., Plasticity and strength of solids in liquid helium, in Problemy prochnosti i plastichnosti tverdykh tel (Problems of Strength and Plasticity of Solids), Leningrad: Nauka, 1979, pp. 189–200.Google Scholar
- 10.Barsukov, O.A. and El’yashevich, M.A., Osnovy atomnoi fiziki (Fundamentals of Atomic Physics), Moscow: Nauchnyi Mir, 2006.Google Scholar