Hydrodynamic Instability of the Periodic System of Updrafts and Downdrafts in the Atmosphere
- 10 Downloads
The linear hydrodynamic instability of the spatially periodic system of updrafts and downdrafts in a stably stratified atmosphere is studied. Such formulation of the problem is used to simulate the cloud systems observed in the atmosphere, when the zones of updrafts correspond to clouds and those of downdrafts correspond to intercloud intervals. A rather unexpected conclusion was made that the consideration of turbulent viscosity and thermal conductivity of the atmosphere as well as of radiative cooling leads to the instability at the Richardson numbers exceeding the critical value of 1/8 for the nondissipative case.
KeywordsHydrodynamic instability Richardson number updrafts and downdrafts cloud band systems turbulent viscosity and thermal conductivity radiative cooling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. P. Dymnikov, “On the Development of Baroclinic Instability in an Atmosphere with a Variable Static Stability Parameter,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana, No. 5, 14 (1978) [Atmos. Ocean Phys., No. 5, 1 (1978)].Google Scholar
- 2.V. P. Dymnikov and A. N. Filatov, Stability of Large–scale Atmospheric Processes (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1990) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.M. V. Kurgansky, “Instability of Internal Gravity Waves Propagating at Small Angles to the Vertical,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana, No. 10, 16 (1980) [Atmos. Ocean Phys., No. 10, 16 (1980)].Google Scholar
- 4.L. D. Meshalkin and Ya. G. Sinai, “Investigation of the Stability of a Stationary Solution of a System of Equations for the Plane Movement of an Incompressible Viscous Liquid,” Prikladnaya Matematika i Mekhanika, No. 6, 25 (1961) [J. Appl. Math. Mech., No. 6, 25 (1961)].Google Scholar
- 5.N. Balmforth and Y.–N. Young, “Stratified Kolmogorov Flow,” J. Fluid Mech., 450 (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Gryschka, J. Fricke, and S. Raasch, “On the Impact of Forced Roll Convection on Vertical Turbulent Transport in Cold Air Outbreaks,” J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 119 (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Kalashnik and M. Kurgansky, “Nonlinear Dynamics of Long–wave Perturbations ofthe Kolmogorov Flow,” Ocean Dynamics, 68 (2018).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Libin, G. Sivashinsky, and E. Levich, “Long–wave Instability of Periodic Flows at Large Reynolds Numbers,” Phys. Fluids, 30 (1987).Google Scholar
- 9.M. E. McIntyre, “Diffusive Destabilization of the Baroclinic Circular Vortex,” Geophys. Fluid Dyn, 1 (1970).Google Scholar