Assessment of sire reproductive potential using laboratory investigations of semen
An investigation of quality of farm animal spermatozoa has been carried out using computer technologies and modern diagnostic tests. It has been ascertained that assessments of sperm concentration and motility are not enough to predict reproductive potential of farm animal sires; it is necessary to carry out a comprehensive laboratory research for semen quality.
Keywordsreproduction semen quality CASA DNA fragmentation level in sperm chromatin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Flowers, W.L., Sperm characteristics that limit success of fertilization, J. Anim., 2013, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 3022–3029.Google Scholar
- 4.Oberlender, G., Murgas, L.D.S., Zangeronimo, M.G., Silva, A.C., and Pereira, L.J., Influence of ejaculation time on sperm quality parameters in high performance boars, J. Anim. Sci. Adv., 2012, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 499–509.Google Scholar
- 5.Bagirov, V.A., Kononov, V.P., Iolchiev, B.A., Klenovitskii, P.M., and Ernst, L.K., Control methods of fertility of sperm and chromatin status: a review, S-kh. Biol., 2012, no. 2, pp. 3–13.Google Scholar
- 6.Iolchiev, B.S., Bagirov, V.A., Klenovitskii, P.M., Kononov, V.P., and Tadzhieva, A.V., Fragmentation index of chromatin DNA in sperm for assessment of sperm quality of boars, S-kh. Biol., 2012, no. 4, pp. 31–35.Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, Y. and Baker, H.W.G., Sperm nuclear chromatic normality: relationship with sperm morphology, sperm–zona pellucida binding, and fertilization rates in vitro, Fertil. Steril., 1992, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1178–1184.Google Scholar