A stochastic model of stick-slip boundary friction with account for the deformation effect of the shear modulus of the lubricant
- First Online:
- 62 Downloads
The melting of an ultrathin lubricating film during the friction of two solid atomically smooth surfaces is studied within the limits of the Lorentz model that approximates a viscoelastic medium, the deformation effect of the shear modulus being taken into account. It is shown that the action of a random force representing additive non-correlated noise results in the sustained oscillation mode that corresponds to stickslip friction. The numerical modeling of the process yields the ratios between the relaxation times at which the stick-slip mode is characterized by a high amplitude. The amplitude of stick-slip transitions is found to decrease as the shear modulus of the lubricant increases.
Key wordslubricant stick-slip friction white noise shear modulus adiabatic approximation Lorentz system oscillations shear stresses
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Popov, V.L., Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Melting by Shear of Thin Lubricating Layer between Two Solids, Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 2001, vol. 71, pp. 100–110.Google Scholar
- 10.Khomenko, A.V. and Lyashenko, I.A., Stochastic Theory of Stick-Slip Mode of Melting of Ultrathin Lubricating Film, Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 2005, vol. 75, pp. 17–25.Google Scholar
- 11.Khomenko, A.V. and Lyashenko, I.A., Melting of Ultrathin Lubricating Film due to Dissipative Heating of Friction Surfaces, Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 2007, vol. 77, pp. 137–140.Google Scholar
- 13.Khomenko, A.V. and Lyashenko, I.A., Temperature Dependence Effect of Viscosity on Ultrathin Lubricant Film Melting, Phys. Condens. Matter., 2006, vol. 9, pp. 695–702.Google Scholar
- 14.Khomenko, A.V. and Lyashenko, I.A., Hysteresis Phenomena at Melting of Ultrathin Lubricating Film, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 2007, vol. 49, pp. 886–890.Google Scholar
- 16.Nanotribology and Nanomechanics, Bhushan, B., Ed., Berlin: Springer, 2005.Google Scholar
- 17.Khomenko, A.V. and Prodanov, N.V., Synergetic Kinetics of Melting of Ultrathin Lubricating Film, Fiz. Tekh. Vysok. Davlenii, 2006, vol. 16, pp. 164–179.Google Scholar
- 18.Olemskoi, A.I. and Khomenko, A.V., Tree-Parameter Kinetics of Phase Transition, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1996, vol. 110, pp. 2144–2167.Google Scholar
- 19.Press, W.H., Flannery, B.P., Teukolsky, S.A., and Vetterling, W.T., Numerical Recipes in C: the Art of Scientific Computing, New York: Cambridge University Press, 1992.Google Scholar