Tar-Based Modification of Carbon Mass for Self-Igniting Anodes
The modification of carbon mass for self-igniting anodes is considered. The mass consists of a binder–filler system. The modifier employed is the phenolic fraction of coal tar. The filler is anthracite treated at 1800°C. The binder is moderate-temperature electrode pitch (grade B). Research shows that cocarbonization of the modifier in the binder–filler system on heating may consist of two processes: 1) before transition of the pitch to a viscofluid state, the additive facilitates mutual approach of its macromolecules and expands the temperature range of nucleation of graphite-like structures; 2) on account of adhesive forces, the phenolic fraction is attached to the filler (thermoanthracite) surface. That, in turn, should intensify the wetting, adsorption, adhesion, and sintering capacity of the electrode pitch (binder).
Keywords:electrode pitch modification self-igniting electrodes electrode mass coal tar phenolic fraction thermoanthracite
- 3.Kremer, H.A., Recent developments electrode pitch and coal tar technology, Chem. Ind., 1982, vol. 18, pp. 702–713.Google Scholar
- 4.Pityulin, I.N., Surowcowa baza do produkcji koksu iglowego z zakladom Ukrainy, Karbo. Energochem. Ekol., 1997, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 184–187.Google Scholar
- 5.Cheshko, F.F., Pityulin, I.N., Pyrin, A.I., and Shustikov, V.I., Alternative raw material for the production of pitch needle coke on coal base, Koks Khim., 1995, no. 3, pp. 25–27.Google Scholar
- 6.Tarakhno, E.V., Lutsenko, Yu.V., Cheshko, F.F., et al., Molecular distillation as method of evaluating the mesogeneity of components of coal-tar pitch, Koks Khim., 1998, no. 5, pp. 14–17.Google Scholar
- 7.Pinchuk, S.I., Organizatsiya eksperimentu pri modelyuvannii ta optimizatsii tikhnichnikh sistem: Navchal’nii posibnik (Experiment Planning in Modeling of Optimization of Technological Systems: Manual), Dnepropetrovsk: Dnipro-VAL, 2009.Google Scholar