X-ray diffraction study of the nanostructural dynamics of fibrillar systems of hair tissue
- 45 Downloads
A comprehensive review of experimental diffraction and spectral studies of hair tissue is presented. The limits of these analyses’ applicability in studying normal and transformed tissues are outlined. The effect of different endogenous and exogenous factors on the molecular and nanostructural ordering of human hair are studied by means of X-ray fluorescence and diffraction using synchrotron radiation. The diffraction pattern of hair is attributed to two fibrillar systems of tissue: the intermediate keratin filaments of its cytoskeleton and the proteoglycan fibrils of its extracellular matrix. The effect of personal hygiene products and medicines widely used for hair care on the structural transformation and elemental composition of hair tissue is investigated. Proteoglycans are considered as universal components of a matrix that ensure the structural homeostasis of biological tissue subjected to endogenous and exogenous effects. Hair tissue is a promising biological material for solving applied problems when used as a diagnostic material for the wide-scale monitoring of environmental and public health risks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Vazina, A.A., Gerasimov, V.S., Zheleznaya, L.A., et al., Biofizika, 1975, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 801–806.Google Scholar
- 8.Vazina, A.A., Gerasimov, V.S., Zheleznaya, L.A., et al., Apparat. Metody Rentgen. Anal., 1977, no. 19, pp. 73–81.Google Scholar
- 9.Vazina, A.A., Gerasimov, V.S., Zheleznaya, L.A., et al., Preprint of Biophysics Institute USSR Acad. Sci., Pushchino, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Korneev, V.N., Shlektarev, V.A., Aul’chenko, V.M., et al., Bull. Russ. Acad. Sci.: Phys., 2008, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 197–200.Google Scholar
- 13.Korneev, V.N., Shlektarev, V.A., Zabelin, A.V., et al., Poverkhn. Rentgen., Sinkhrotron. Neitron. Issl., 2012, no. 10, pp. 71–87.Google Scholar
- 19.Vazina, A.A., Denisova, E.A., Zheleznaya, L.A., and Lazarev, P.I., Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1985, vol. 281, no. 4, pp. 975–978.Google Scholar
- 20.Denisova, E.A., Lazarev, P.I., Vazina, A.A., and Zhelesnaya, L.A., Stud. Biophys., 1985, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 117–121.Google Scholar
- 21.Zheleznaya, L.A., Denisova, E.A., Lazarev, P.I., and Vazina, A.A., J. Nanobiol., 1992, vol. 1, pp. 107–115.Google Scholar