Fabrication of Narrow-Fraction Micropowders of NiAl-Based Refractory Alloy CompoNiAl-M5-3
- 14 Downloads
Powders of new CompoNiAl M5-3 heat-resistant alloy were prepared by mechanoactivated SHS from (Ni–Al–Cr–Co–Hf)–NaCl mixtures. Ni dissolution in Al melt was found to be the motive force of combustion. Unlike the binary Ni–Al system, NiAl is formed not in the melt but in the post-combustion zone as a result of diffusion-controlled processes. Conditions for MASHS were optimized toward fabrication of a superalloy with homogeneous composition/structure and low content of gas impurities. As-prepared combustion product was disintegrated into a powder and the latter was subjected to plasma spheroidization, keeping in mind the needs of additive manufacturing. The attained degree of spheroidization was 98%. The structure and phase/chemical compositions of spherical powders did not differ from those of the synthesized powders. After plasma treatment, the content of gas impurities (О2 and N2) decreased.
KeywordsSHS MASHS mechanical activation nickel aluminide spheroidization additive manufacturing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.DebRoy, T., Wei, H.L., Zuback, J.S., Mukherjee, T., Elmer, J.W., Milewski, J.O., Beese, A.M., Wilson-Heid, A., De, A., and Zhang, W., Additive manufacturing of metallic components: Process, structure and properties, Prog. Mater. Sci., 2018, vol. 92, pp. 112–224. doi 10.1016/j.pmatsci.2017.10.001CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Shang, Z., Shen, J., Wang, L., Du, Y., Xiong, Y., and Fu, H., Investigations on the microstructure and room temperature fracture toughness of directionally solidified NiAl–Cr(Mo) eutectic alloy, Intermetallics, 2015, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 25–33. doi 10.1016/j.intermet. 2014.09.012CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Zaitsev, A.A., Sentyurina, Z.A., Levashov, E.A., Pogozhev, Y.S., Sanin, V.N., Loginov, P.A., and Petrzhik, M.I., Structure and properties of NiAl–Cr(Co,Hf) alloys prepared by centrifugal SHS casting: 1. Room temperature investigations, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2017, vol. 690, pp. 463–472. doi 10.1016/j.msea.2016.09.075CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zaitsev, A.A., Sentyurina, Z.A., Levashov, E.A., Pogozhev, Y.S., Sanin, V.N., Loginov, P.A., and Sidorenko, D.A., Structure and properties of NiAl–Cr(Co,Hf) alloys prepared by centrifugal SHS casting followed by vacuum induction remelting: 2. Evolution of the structure and mechanical behavior at high temperature, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2017, vol. 690, pp. 473–481. doi 10.1016/j.msea.2017.02.089CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kaplanskii, Yu.Yu., Zaitsev, A.A., Levashov, E.A., Loginov, P.A., and Sentyurina, Zh.A., NiAl based alloy produced by HIP and SLM of pre-alloyed spherical powders: Evolution of the structure and mechanical behavior at high temperatures, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2018, vol. 717, no. 1, pp. 48–59. doi 10.1016/j.msea.2018.01.057CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Rogachev, A.S., Tolochko, B.P., Lyakhov, N.Z., Sharafutdinov, M.P., Popkov, N.A., Pirogov, B.Y., and Pis’menskaya, E.B., Characteristic features of structure formation of nickel monoaluminide formed in a gasless combustion wave, Crystallogr. Rep., 2003, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 466–468. doi 10.1134/1.1578133CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rogachev, A.S., Kochetov, N.A., Kurbatkina, V.V., Levashov, E.A., Grinchuk, P.S., Rabinovich, O.S., Sachkova, N.V., and Bernard, F., Microstructural aspects of gasless combustion of mechanically activated mixtures: 1. High-speed micro video recording of the Ni–Al composition, Combust., Explos., Shock Waves, 2006, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 421–429. doi 10.1007/s10573-006-0071-1CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Kurbatkina, V.V., Levashov, E.A., and Kolesnichenko, K.V., Effect of mechanical pre-activation on reactivity of SHS mixtures, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved. Tsvet. Metall., 2000, no. 5, pp. 61–67.Google Scholar
- 22.Cooke, A. and Slotwinski, J., NISTIR 7873: Properties of Metal Powders for Additive Manufacturing: A Review of the State of the Art of Metal Powder Property Testing, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2015. doi 10.6028/NIST.IR.7873Google Scholar
- 23.Vacuum Systems and Technologies for Metallurgy and Heat Treatment (Catalogues). http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/ald/metal-additive-manufacturing/21806-526379.html.
- 24.Kaplanskii, Y.Y., Korotitskiy, A.V., Levashov, E.A., Sentyurina, Z.A., Loginov, P.A., Samokhin, A.V., and Logachev, I.A., Microstructure and thermomechanical behavior of Heusler phase Ni2AlHf-strengthened NiAl–Cr(Co) alloy produced by HIP of plasmaspheroidized powder, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2018, vol. 729, pp. 398–410. doi 10.1016/j.msea.2018.05.087CrossRefGoogle Scholar