Improving manganese utilization in the production of manganese ferroalloys
- 55 Downloads
To extract manganese from the tailings slag produced in the furnace smelting of manganese with silicon, a possible approach is to reduce the slag by means of melts of iron, high-carbon ferromanganese, or ferrosilicomanganese. Thermodynamic analysis of this process is undertaken. The reaction of these melts with the slag is also studied experimentally. It is found that the reduction of manganese from such slag by carbon from hot metal is promising for practical purposes. Hence, the overall extraction of manganese may be increased if the tailings slag from furnace smelting of manganese is used to alloy hot metal with manganese.
Keywordsmanganese slag hot metal carbon manganese extraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gasik, M.I., Metallurgiya margantsa (Metallurgy of Manganese), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.Lyakishev, N.P., Gasik, M.I., and Dashevskii, V.Ya., Metallurgiya ferrosplavov (Metallurgy of Ferroalloys), Moscow: Ucheba, 2006, vol. 1.Google Scholar
- 3.Kulikov, I.S., Raskislenie splavov (Reduction of Alloys), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.Steelmaking Data Sourcebook, New York: Gordon & Breach, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.Katsnelson, A.M., Dashevskiy, V.Ya., and Kashin, V.I., Steel Res., 1993, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 197–202.Google Scholar
- 6.Dashevskii, V.Ya., Metally, 2007, no. 6, pp. 13–17.Google Scholar
- 7.Dashevskii, V.Ya., Katsnel’son, A.M., Krylov, A.S., et al., Thermodynamic properties of manganesephosphorus and manganese-silicon alloys, Teoriya i praktika metallurgii margantsa (Theoretical and Practical Aspects of the Metallurgy of Manganese), Moscow: Nauka, 1990, pp. 9–18.Google Scholar
- 8.Dashevskii, V.Ya., Yusfin, Yu.S., Aleksandrov, A.A., et al., Russian patent application 2011123752/02(033136), 2012.Google Scholar