Striated features in the dust tail of comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught)
- 61 Downloads
To explain the distinct transversal striae observed in the tail of comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught) near the perihelion, a dynamic model for the formation of the dust tail of the comet has been developed. It is supposed that, on the surface of the nucleus, there are three local active domains of the increased outflow of the material. Formation of the striated features is caused by different rates of material outflow from the active areas depending on which side of the rotating nucleus, illuminated or shadowed, these areas are located. It has been found that the period of the axial rotation of the comet is 21 h.
KeywordsDust Dust Particle Celestial Body Cometary Tail Cometary Nucleus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. H. Delsemme, “Chemical Composition of Nuclei,” in Comets, Ed. by L. L. Wilkening (1982), pp. 85–130.Google Scholar
- 3.M. S. Hanner, “The Nature of Cometary Dust from Remote Sensing,” Cometary Exploration 2, 1–22 (1982).Google Scholar
- 6.A. V. Ivanova and K. M. Shulman, “Modeling of Heating and Intensification of Sublimation from a Cometary Active Regions,” in Proc. of Conf. on Asteroids, Comets, Meteors (Berlin, Germany, 2002), pp. 55–58.Google Scholar
- 7.M. S. Kelley, D. E. Harker, D. H. Wooden, and C. E. Woodward, “Crystalline Silicates and the Spectacular Comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught),” Bull. Amer. Astron. Soc. 39, 827 (2007).Google Scholar
- 8.S. V. Kharchuk, “Dust Tail Modelling for Comet Hale-Bopp,” in YSC’15 Proc. of Contributed Papers, Ed. by V. Ya. Choliy and G. Ivashchenko (Kyuvsk. Univ., Kyiv, 2008), pp. 57–59.Google Scholar
- 10.P. O. Korsun, “Distant Activity of Comet C/2001 K5 (Linear),” Kinem. Phys. Celest. Bodies Suppl., No. 5, 465–471 (2005).Google Scholar
- 12.B. G. Marsden, IAU Circ., No. 8801 (2007).Google Scholar
- 16.Z. Sekanina and J. A. Farrel, “Evidence for Fragmentation of Strongly Nonspherical Dust Particles in the Tail of Comet West 1976 VI,” in Solid Particles in the Solar System: Proc. of the Symp., Ottawa, Canada, 1979 (Reidel, Dordrecth, 1980), pp. 267–270.Google Scholar
- 17.J. Shanklin, “Review of Comet Observations for 2007 January — 2007 December,” Comet’s Tale (Newslett. Comet Sect. Brit. Astron. Assoc.), No. 2, 10–29 (2007).Google Scholar
- 18.C. Snodgrass, A. Fitzsimmons, E. Jehin, et al., “Optical Observations of Comet McNaught from La Silla,” in Asteroids, Comets, Meteors, LPI Contributions (2008), No. 1405, Paper id. 8328.Google Scholar