Modeling the State of a Railway Track Foundation by Seismic Methods
The paper presents the first results of full-scale modeling of the state of the foundation of a railway track running through areas with complex natural-climatic and engineering-geological conditions. Our results demonstrate the fundamental possibility of using seismic stations installed along the track foundation to continuously monitor its state. Monitoring parameters that can signal subsoil deterioration have been identified, e.g., flooding, ground thawing, etc. An advantage of the proposed approach over other geophysical methods is the possibility of identifying problem areas at the early stage, as well as real-time monitoring of their state and rapid information transmission to a central communication hub.
Keywords:railway track foundation seismic methods modeling
This study was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 17-20-02119 “Development of a Technique for Seismic Monitoring and Rapid Assessment of the State of Railroad Tracks in Conditions of the Far North and Siberia”).
- 1.Decree of the Government of Russian Federation no. 877-r of June 17, 2008. http://www.rzd-expo.ru/innovation/regulatory_documents/01Rasporyazhenie877-r.pdf. Accessed October 1, 2018.Google Scholar
- 2.GeoSIG Company, Earthquake early warning system for the Honam high-speed railway, South Korea. https://www. geosig.com/files/CaseStudy_Honam_South%20Korea.pdf. Accessed January 28, 2018a.Google Scholar
- 3.GeoSIG Company, Earthquake early warning system for the TGV high-speed railway, France. https://www.geosig. com/files/CaseStudy_TGV_HighSpeedRailway_France. pdf. Accessed January 28, 2018b.Google Scholar
- 4.Kapustyan, N.K. and Yudakhin, F.N., Seismicheskie issledovaniya tekhnogennykh vozdeistvii na zemnuyu koru i ikh posledstvii (Seismic Studies of Technogenic Effects on the Crust and the Respective Consequences), Yekaterinburg: Ural. Otd. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2007.Google Scholar
- 5.Konshin, G.G., Metody i sredstva diagnostiki zemlyanogo polotna: Uchebnoe posobie (Methods and Means of Earth Work Diagnostics: A Textbook), Moscow: MIIT, 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.Lebedev, A.V., State of earth works beneath railroads, Evraziya Vesti, 2014, no. 7. http://www.eav.ru/ publ1.php?publid=2014-07a08. Accessed October 1, 2018.Google Scholar
- 7.Shimamura, M. and Yamamura, K., A study on the performance of seismic early warning system, Proc. Railw. Mech., 2008, vol. 12, pp. 131–138.Google Scholar
- 8.Val’tseva, T.Yu., Deformability of railroad embankments resting on weak soils reinforced with geosynthetic materials under the conditions of Russian Far East, Cand. Sci. (Tech.) Dissertation, Khabarovsk, 2011.Google Scholar
- 9.Yamamoto, S. and Tomori, M., Earthquake early warning system for railways and its performance, J. Jap. Soc. Civil Eng., 2013, vol. 1, pp. 322–328.Google Scholar