S-Shaped Metamaterial Ultra-Wideband Directive Patch Antenna
- 6 Downloads
Antenna parameter optimization using S-shaped metamaterial embedded in antenna substrate is elucidated in this paper. Upon incorporation of proposed metamaterial array inside the antenna substrate, the bandwidth of antenna increases by 74% and directivity by about 11%. Results obtained are in good coherence when using the FEM based Ansoft HFSS simulation and MATLAB programming based on CAD formulas using the equivalent circuit analysis of patch antenna. The evolution of ‘S-shape’ has been explained beginning from the primitive Single Split Ring Resonator’s shape. The proposed structure was fabricated and nearly 6% deviation was obtained in comparison with the simulation results. This metamaterial antenna overcomes the low bandwidth limitation of patch antenna and helps in maintaining a low profile by obtaining 81% miniaturization.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Schantz, The Art and Science of Ultra-Wideband Antennas (Artech House, 2005).Google Scholar
- 2.C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory, 4th ed. (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2016).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Volakis, Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th ed. (McGraw Hill, 2007).Google Scholar
- 6.M. R. Ahsan, M. T. Islam, M. H. Ullah, N. Misran, “Bandwidth enhancement of a dual band planar monopole antenna using meandered microstrip feeding,” The Scientific World J. 2014, ID 856504 (2014). DOI: 10.1155/2014/856504.Google Scholar
- 8.K.-L. Wong, Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas (Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, 2004).Google Scholar
- 9.Parul Dawar, N. S. Raghava, Asok De, “Ultra wide band, multi-resonance antenna using swastika metamaterial,” Int. J. Microwave Optical Technology 11, No. 6, 423 (2016).Google Scholar
- 10.M. R. Ahsan, M. T. Islam, M. H. Ullah, M. J. Singh, M. T. Ali, “Metasurface reflector (MSR) loading for high performance small microstrip antenna design,” PLOS One, May (2015). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0127185.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Linden, C. Enkrich, G. Dolling, M. W. Klein, J. Zhou, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, S. Burger, F. Schmidt, M. Wegener, “Photonic metamaterials: Magnetism at optical frequencies,” IEEE J. Selected Topics Quantum Electronics 12, No. 6, 1097 (2006). DOI: 10.1109/JSTQE.2006.880600.CrossRefGoogle Scholar