Implementation of higher order forced oscillations mode in shielded dielectric resonators by using slotline
- 27 Downloads
The electromagnetic characteristics of the shielded hemisphere dielectric resonator in 8-mm waveband were investigated experimentally. The utilization of a slotline for the excitation of whispering gallery modes in such resonator was suggested. It has been defined that the suggested excitation technique is efficient. It provides an opportunity to excite the high Q-factor higher order modes in shielded dielectric resonator without additional energy losses. It has been proved experimentally that the unloaded Q factor achieved in the resonator under investigation may exceed the threshold values, which are limited by the dissipative losses in the dielectric resonator material, due to the shift of the resonance field in the air gap between the metal and the dielectric resonator elements. It was demonstrated that the symmetry breakdown of the investigated resonator leads to a significant deterioration of its electromagnetic characteristics.
KeywordsQuality Factor Dielectric Resonator Resonance Field Whisper Gallery Mode Electromagnetic Characteristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. A. Weinstein, Electromagnetic Waves (Sov. Radio, Moscow, 1975) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.M. E. Ilchenko, V. F. Vzyatyshev, L. G. Gassanov, et al., Dielectric Resonators (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1989) [in Russian, ed. by M. E. Ilchenko].Google Scholar
- 3.A. Ye. Kogut, V. V. Kutuzov, A. A. Kharkovskaya, S. N. Kharkovsky, “Excitation of whispering-gallery type oscillations in quasi-optical metal-dielectric resonators by a coupling slot in the mirror,” Telecom. Radio Eng. 53, No. 11, 42 (1999), DOI: 10.1615/TelecomRadEng.v53.i11.80.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Yu. F. Filippov, A. Ye. Kogut, V. V. Kutuzov, S. N. Kharkovsky, Z. Ye. Eremenko, “On radial distribution of the modes energy in shielded layered hemispherical resonator,” Telecom. Radio Eng. 55, No. 12 (2001), DOI: 10.1615/TelecomRadEng.v55.i12.90.Google Scholar
- 5.Z. E. Eremenko, Y. F. Filipov, S. N. Kharkovsky, V. V. Kutuzov, A. E. Kogut, “Whispering-gallery modes in shielded hemispherical dielectric resonators,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. 50, No. 11, 2647 (Nov. 2002), DOI: 10.1109/TMTT.2002.804627.Google Scholar
- 6.E. L. Ginzton, Measurements at Centimeter Waves (Izdat. Inostr. Lit., Moscow, 1960) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.R. A. Valitov, S. F. Dyubko, B. I. Makarenko, et al., Measurements at Millimeter and Submillimeter Waves. Techniques and Equipment (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1984) [in Russian, ed. by R. A. Valitov, B. I. Makarenko].Google Scholar
- 9.L. B. Goldberg, “Theoretical investigation of the coupling betweeen the dielectric resonator and the microstrip transmission line,” Elekronnaya Tekhnika, Ser. 1. Elektronika SVCh, No. 7, 41 (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.S. N. Khar’kovskii, A. E. Kogut, V. V. Kutuzov, “Excitation of ray oscillations in quasioptical dielectric cavities with whispering gallery modes,” Tech. Phys. Lett. 23, No. 8, 584 (1997), DOI: 10.1134/1.1261759.Google Scholar