Assessment of soil salinity in the Eastern Nile Delta (Egypt) using geoinformation techniques
- 313 Downloads
Rising soil salinity has been a major problem in the soils of Egypt in recent decades. High water tables are also a common problem in intensively irrigated areas and can lead to the development of salinity problems. Results show a high correlation between ETM+ band 3 and salt efflorescence. The ground values have a good correlation (r2 > 0.65) with estimated values. Results also show a positive correlation (r2 = 0.84) between the concentration of salt on the surface and water table levels of 70 cm or less. In the area under study, salt accumulation, ground water and inadequate drainage conditions are the major causes of salinization.
Keywordssoil salinity remote sensing GIS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Afify, H.F., Studies on Water Resources and Pollution in Some Areas of the Suez Canal Province, Univ. of Cairo, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.de Dapper, M. and Goossens R., Modeling and Monitoring of Soil Salinity and Water Logging Hazards in the Desert-Delta Fringes of Egypt Based on Geomorphology, Remote Sensing and GIS, Proc. 16th Earsel Symp., Malta, May 20–23, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.Eger, H., Fleischhauer, E., Hebel, A., and Sombroek, W., Taking Action for Sustainable Land Use, Proc. 9th ISCO Conf., Bonn, 1996, pp. 480–483.Google Scholar
- 6.FAO. The Land Resource Base. Room: FAO (ARC/86/3), Roma, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Hillel, D., Salinity Management for Sustainable Irrigation: Integrating Science, Environment and Economics, Washington, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Kalkhan, M.A., Stohlgren, T.J., Chong, G.W., et al., A Predictive Spatial Model of Plant Diversity: Integration of Remotely Sensed Data, GIS and Spatial Statistics, Proc. 8th Biennial Remote Sensing Application (Conf. RS, 2000), Albuquerque, 2000, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 9.Northrop, L.J., Landsat Detection of Irrigation Area Salinity, Occasional Paper Ser., 1982, no. 4.Google Scholar
- 10.Zinck, J.A., Remote Sensing of Soil Salinization Impact on Land Management, New York, 2009.Google Scholar