A Lower Bound on Data Rates for Observability and Stabilizability of Linear Systems
- 2 Downloads
This paper studies observability and stabilizability of linear time-invariant systems in the presence of limited feedback data rates. The well-known data-rate theorem in the literature presents a lower bound on data rates, above which there exists a quantization, coding, and control scheme such that an unstable dynamical system can be stabilized. However, it is unnecessary to transmit data packet on the plant state to the controller when the state prediction error is small enough. Thus, we reduce the conservatism of the prior results by employing a time-varying coding scheme. It is shown in our results that, there exists the lower bound on the data rate for observability and stabilizability, which is tighter than the ones in the data-rate theorem in the literature. Illustrative examples are given to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed quantization, coding, and control scheme.
Keywords:limited data rates State estimation Networked control Linear time-invariant systems
The authors also gratefully acknowledge the helpful comments and suggestions of the reviewers, which have improved the presentation.
- 1.Baillieul, J. and Antsaklis, P., Control and communication challenges in networked real time systems, Proceedings of IEEE Special Iss. Emerg. Technol. Netw. Control Syst, USA: IEEE, 2007, pp. 9–28.Google Scholar
- 3.Baillieul, J., Feedback designs for controlling device arrays with communication channel bandwidth constraints, Proceedings of ARO Workshop on Smart Structures, Pennsylvania State Univ., 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.Baillieul, J., Feedback designs in information based control, Proceedings of Stochastic Theory and Control Proceedings of a Workshop Held in Lawrence, Kansas, Pasik-Duncan, B., Ed., New York: Springer-Verlag, 2001, pp. 35–57.Google Scholar
- 5.Baillieul, J., Data-rate requirements for nonlinear feedback control, Proceedings of 6th IFAC Symp. Nonlinear Control Syst., Stuttgart, 2004, pp. 1277–1282.Google Scholar
- 16.Liu, Q., Minimum information rate for observability of linear systems with stochastic time delay, Int. J. Control, 2018.Google Scholar