Biosorption of Rare-Earth Elements and Yttrium by Heterotrophic Bacteria in an Aqueous Environment
- 26 Downloads
This paper reports the results of the experimental determination of the coefficient of sorption of rare-earth elements and yttrium (REY) under conditions of acidic pH using several strains of heterotrophic bacteria (Microbacterium sp., Curtobacterium sp., Bacillus subtilis, Pseudomonas putida, and Bacillus pumilis) that are widespread in natural and technogenic waters of the Far East (Russia). Insignificant fractionation between heavy and light rare-earth elements, negative cerium and dysprosium anomalies, and a positive europium anomaly were revealed. The selectivity of REY biosorption by gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, as well as inertia of the biosorption process under more acidic conditions of the medium, were shown.
Keywordsrare-earth elements (REE) biosorption heterotrophic bacteria sorption coefficient groundwater
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balashov, Yu.A., Geokhimiya redkozemel’nykh elementov (Geochemistry of Rare Earth Elements), Moscow: Nauka, 1976.Google Scholar
- Beveridge, T.J. and Doyle, R.J., Metal Ions and Bacteria, New York: John Wiley, 1989.Google Scholar
- Johannesson, K.H., Palmore, C.D., Fackrell, J., Prouty, N.G., Swarzenski, P.W., Chevis, D.A., Telfeyan, K., White, C.D., and Burdige, D.J., Rare earth element behavior during groundwater—seawater mixing along the Kona Coast of Hawaii, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 2017, vol. 198, pp. 229–258.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kalitina, E.G., Kharitonova, N.A., Chelnokov, G.A., and Vakh, E.A., Microbiological composition of carbonic mineral waters of Primorye territory (distribution, number of bacteria, conditions of their habitat), Vestn. DVO RAN, 2015, vol. 183, no. 5, pp. 53–62.Google Scholar
- Korenevsky, A.A., Sorokin, V.V., and Karavaiko, G.I., Interaction of REE ions with Candida utilis cells, Mikrobiologiya, 1997, vol. 66, pp. 198–205.Google Scholar
- Rukovodstvo k prakticheskim zanyatiyam po mikrobiologii (A Guide to a Practical Course in Microbiology), Egorov, N.S., Ed., Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 1995.Google Scholar
- Wood, S.A., The geochemistry of rare earth elements and yttrium in geothermal waters, Soc. Econ. Geol. Spec. Publ., 2003, vol. 10, pp. 133–158.Google Scholar