The Composition of Melt Inclusions in Minerals from Tephra of the Soil–Pyroclastic Cover of Simushir Island (Central Kuril Islands)
- 31 Downloads
The compositions of approximately 70 naturally quenched melt inclusions in olivine, clinopyroxene, orthopyroxene, and plagioclase phenocrysts from tephra of the soil–pyroclastic cover of Simushir Island (Central Kuril Islands) were studied. The concentrations of the major rock-forming components, H2O, S, and Cl were analyzed in inclusions. The reconstructed melts contain 48.6–78.4 wt % SiO2, 0.3–8.26 wt % MgO, and 0.12–1.72 wt % K2O. The concentration of S and Cl in the melts changes regularly with increasing SiO2 content: from 0.14 to ~0.02 wt % S and from ~0.05 to ~0.28 wt % Cl. The content of H2O in parental melts is 4.2–4.5 wt %.
Keywordsmelt inclusions volatiles Simushir Kuril Islands
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Danyushevsky, L.V. and Plechov, P., Petrology: integrated software for modeling crystallization processes, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., 2011, vol. 12, no. 7.Google Scholar
- Gavrilenko, M., Herzberg, C., and Vidito, C.A., et al., Calcium- in-olivine geohygrometer and its application to subduction zone magmatism, J. Petrol., 2016, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1811–1832.Google Scholar
- Plechov, P.Yu., Metody izucheniya flyuidnykh i rasplavnykh vklyuchenii (Methods of Study of Fluid and Melt Inclusions), Moscow, 2014.Google Scholar
- Portnyagin, M., Hoernle, K., Plechov, P., et al., Constraints on mantle melting and composition and nature of slab components in volcanic arcs from volatiles (H2O, S, Cl, F) and trace elements in melt inclusions from the Kamchatka arc, Earth Planet. Sc. Lett., 2007, vol. 255, no. 1, pp. 53–69.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tolstykh, M.L., Naumov, V.B., and Kononkova, N.N., Three Types of Melts Participated in the Formation of the Medvezh’ya Caldera, Iturup Island, South Kuriles, Geokhimiya, 1997, no. 4, pp. 391–397.Google Scholar