PARP1 Binding to DNA Breaks and Hairpins Alters Nucleosome Structure
- 10 Downloads
Poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase 1 (PARP1) is involved in the processes of DNA repair, replication, transcription, cell cycle regulation, and apoptosis. Participation of PARP1 in DNA repair is determined by the ability of the enzyme to interact with various damages and noncanonical structures of DNA with consequent polyADP-ribosylation of neighboring proteins. Earlier, for mononucleosomes containing a DNA end recapitulating double-strand DNA break near the nucleosome, it was found that PARP1 induces nucleosome structural changes in the absence of NAD+. In the present work, it is reported that PARP1 induces similar structural changes in nucleosomes containing either DNA ends extending from the core by 20 bp or containing hairpins at the DNA ends. In all the cases, PARP1 caused changes in DNA wrapping on the surface of the histone octamer that are accompanied by an increase in the distance between adjacent DNA gyres. These PARP1-mediated changes in the nucleosome structure presumably contribute to chromatin decondensation and facilitate access of repair enzymes to damaged DNA.
Keywords:poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase 1 nucleosome fluorescence energy transfer microscopy DNA hairpins.
This work was performed with the support from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 17-54-33045.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
The study was performed without the use of animals and without involving people as subjects.
- 1.Ludwig, A., Behnke, B., Holtlund, J., and Hilz, H., Immunoquantitation and size determination of intrinsic poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase from acid precipitates. An analysis of the in vivo status in mammalian species and in lower eukaryotes, J. Biol. Chem., 1988, vol. 263, no. 15, pp. 6993–6999.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Sultanov, D.C., Gerasimova, N.S., Kudryashova, K.S., Maluchenko, N.V., Kotova, E.Y., Langelier, M.F., Pascal, J.M., Kirpichnikov, M.P., Feofanov, A.V., and Studitsky, V.M., Unfolding of core nucleosomes by PARP-1 revealed by spFRET microscopy, AIMS Genet., 2017, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 21–31.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Valieva, M.E., Armeev, G.A., Kudryashova, K.S., Gerasimova, N.S., Shaytan, A.K., Kulaeva, O.I., McCullough, L.L., Formosa, T., Georgiev, P.G., Kirpichnikov, M.P., Studitsky, V.M., and Feofanov, A.V., Large-scale ATP-independent nucleosome unfolding by a histone chaperone, Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol., 2016, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1111–1116.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Valieva, M.E., Gerasimova, N.S., Kudryashova, K.S., Kozlova, A.L., Kirpichnikov, M.P., Hu, Q., Botuyan, M.V., Mer, G., Feofanov, A.V., and Studitsky, V.M., Stabilization of nucleosomes by histone tails and by FACT revealed by spFRET microscopy, Cancers, 2017, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Langelier, M.F., Steffen, J., Riccio, A.A., McCauley, M., and Pascal, J.M., Purification of DNA damage-dependent PARPs from E. coli for structural and biochemical analysis, Methods Mol. Biol., vol. 1608, pp. 431–444.Google Scholar
- 15.Kudryashova, K.S., Nikitin, D.V., Chertkov, O.V., Gerasimova, N.S., Valeva, M.E., Studitsky, V.M., and Feofanov, A.V., Development of fluorescently labeled mononucleosomes for the investigation of transcription mechanisms by single complex microscopy, Moscow Univ. Biol. Sci. Bull., 2015, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 189–193.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kudryashova, K.S., Chertkov, O.V., Nikitin, D.V., Pestov, N.A., Kulaeva, O.I., Efremenko, A.V., Solonin, A.S., Kirpichnikov, M.P., Studitsky, V.M., and Feofanov, A.V., Preparation of mononucleosomal templates for analysis of transcription with RNA polymerase using spFRET, Methods Mol. Biol., vol. 1288, pp. 395–412.Google Scholar