Diatoms in the ice of Velikaya Salma strait, the White Sea, before the spring algal bloom
Diatom species composition in the ice of Velikaya Salma strait of Kandalaksha Bay of the White Sea was studied in 5 stations in March, 2013–2014—prior to the spring algal bloom. Under-ice water salinity and ice thickness did not differ significantly between the two years. In total 59 diatom taxa (47 species and 12 taxa of higher taxonomic ranks) were found in the ice of Velikaya Salma strait, which makes 61% of the number of diatom taxa found in Velikaya Salma ice during the whole ice period and 22% of all the White Sea ice species. Species Stenoneis obtuserostrata (Hustedt) Poulin and Gyrosigma concilians (Cleve) Okolodkov were identified in the White Sea ice for the first time. Szymkiewicz-Simpson similarity coefficient for pairs of stations with significant difference was 0.44–0.80.
KeywordsWhite Sea diatoms ice algae Stenoneis obtuserostrata Gyrosigma concilians
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Legendre, L., Ackley, S.F., Dieckmann, G.S., Gulliksen, B., Horner, R., Hoshiai, T., Melnikov, I.A., Reeburgh, W.S., Spindler, M., and Sullivan, C.W, Ecology of sea ice biota. 2. Global significance, Polar Biol., 1992, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 429–444.Google Scholar
- 3.McMahon, K.W., Ambrose, W.G., Johnson, B.J., Sun, M.-Y., Lopez, G.R., Clough, L.M., and Carroll, M.L, Benthic community response to ice algae and phytoplankton in Ny Ålesund, Svalbard, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 2006, vol. 310, no. 1, pp. 1–14.Google Scholar
- 5.Ilyash, L.V. and Zhitina, L.S, Comparative analysis of diatom species composition of Russian Arctic sea ice, Zh. Obshch. Biol., 2009, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 143–154.Google Scholar
- 8.Melnikov, I.A., Dikarev, S.N., Egorov, V.G., Kolosova, E.G., and Zhitina, L.S, Structure of the coastal ice ecosystem in the zone of sea-river interactions, Oceanology, 2005, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 511–519.Google Scholar
- 11.Ilyash, L.V., Zhitina, L.S., Kudryavtseva, V.A., and Melnikov, I.A, Seasonal dynamics of species composition and abundance of algae in the land fast ice of Kandalaksha bay of the White sea, Zh. Obshch. Biol., 2012, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 461–472.Google Scholar
- 13.Diatomovye vodorosli SSSR (iskopaemye i sovremennye) (Diatoms of the USSR (Fossil and Modern)) Proshkina-Lavrenko, A.I, Ed., Leningrad: Nauka, 1974, vol.1.Google Scholar
- 14.Zhitina, L.S. and Ilyash, L.V, Diatom species composition of the ice of Russian Arctic seas, Arkt. Antarkt., 2010, no. 7, pp. 115–149.Google Scholar
- 23.AlgaeBase, 1996. http://www.algaebase.org. Cited March 10, 2017.Google Scholar
- 24.Katsuki, K., Takahashi, K., Onodera, J., Jordan, R.W., and Suto, I, Living diatoms in the vicinity of the North Pole, summer 2004, Micropaleontology, 2009, vol. 55, nos. 2–3, pp. 137–170.Google Scholar