Phenotypic and phylogenetic characterization of actinomycetes isolated from Lasius niger and Formica cunicularia ants
- 37 Downloads
Multiple actinomycete strains were isolated from two ant species, Lasius niger and Formica cunicularia, and their phenotypic properties and phylogenetic position were studied. Partial sequencing of 16S rRNA assigned the greater part of them to the genus Streptomyces, but only one belonged to Nocardia. However, some isolates had significant color and morphological differences from their closest phylogenetic relatives. The abundance and biodiversity of actinomycete communities isolated from L. niger ants greatly exceeded those found for F. cunicularia. All of the actinomycetes associated with F. cunicularia ants demonstrated cellulolytic activity, but only one had such ability among the strains associated with black ants.
Keywordsactinomycetes ants ant-microbe symbiosis Lasius Formica Streptomyces 16S rRNA resazurin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.de Souza, D.J., Bezier, A., Depoix, D., Drezen, J.-M., and Lenoir, A., Blochmannia endosymbionts improve colony growth and immune defence in the ant Camponotus fellah, BMC Microbiol., 2009, vol. 9, no. 29, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 10.Zakharov, A.A., Murav’i lesnykh soobshchestv, ikh zhizn' v lesu (Ants of Forest Communities and Their Life in the Forest), Moscow: Tovarishchestvo nauchnykh izdanii KMK, 2015.Google Scholar
- 13.Golichenkov, M.V., Neimatov, A.V., and Kiryushin, A.V., The microbiological activity of soils infested with ants Lasius niger, Pochvovedenie, 2009, no. 7, pp. 847–852.Google Scholar
- 15.Gauze, G.F., Preobrazhenskaya, T.P., Sveshnikova, M.A., Terekhova, L.P., and Maksimova, T.S., Opredelitel’ aktinomitsetov (Identifier of Actinomycetes), Moscow: Nauka, 1983.Google Scholar
- 16.Karuppusamy, S. and Rajasekaran, K.M., High throughput antibacterial screening of plant extracts by resazurin redox with special reference to medicinal plants of Western Ghats, Glob. J. Pharmacol, 2009, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 63–68.Google Scholar
- 19.Rohland, J., Investigating the actinomycete diversity inside hindgut of an indigenous termite, Microhodotermes viator, PhD Thesis, University of Cape Town, 2010.Google Scholar