Influence of interionic interactions on functional state and blocker binding of voltage-gated potassium channels
A mechanism of ion conduction of a voltage-gated potassium channel KcsA was investigated in full-atomic approximation at a trajectory length of 100 ns using the Lomonosov supercomputer. Methods of molecular dynamics were employed. A structure of the KcsA channel in the open state obtained by X-ray structure analysis (PDB ID 3fb7) was used. Free energy profiles of the KcsA pore occupied with either one or three potassium ions were calculated. It was shown that, under physiological conditions, ions pass through the channel pore cooperatively and the mechanism most probably includes three ions permeating in concert. Interactions of the mammalian voltage-gated channel Kv1.2 with neurotoxin were investigated. It was demonstrated that the effect of interionic interactions on binding of a blocker is rather insufficient.
Keywordsvoltage-gated potassium channels neurotoxin molecular dynamics interionic interactions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Potassium Channels, Centr. Eur. J. Chem., 2007, vol. 5, pp. 635–671.Google Scholar
- 5.Sokolova, O.S., Shaitan, K.V., Grizel’, A.V., Popinako, A.V., Karlova, M.G., and Kirpichnikov, M.P., Three-Dimensional Structure of Human VoltageGated Ion Channel Kv10.2 Studied by Electron Microscopy of Macromolecules and Molecular Modeling, Russ. J. Bioorg. Chem., 2012, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 152–158.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Duan, Y., Wu, C., Chowdhury, S., Lee, M., Xiong, G., Zhang, W., Yang, R., Cieplak, P., Luo, R., Lee, T., Caldwell, J., Wang, J., and Kollman, P., A PointCharge Force Field for Molecular Mechanics Simulations of Proteins Based on Condensed-Phase Quantum Mechanical Calculations, J. Comput. Chem., 2003, vol. 24, pp. 1999–2012.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Karlova, M.G., Piscshalnikova, A.V., Ramonova, A.A., Moisenovich, M.M., Sokolova, O.S., and Shaitan, K.V., In vitro Fluorescence Assay to Study the Folding of Kv Ion Channels, Biophysics (Moscow), 2011, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 272–279.Google Scholar
- 18.Maestro, version 9.5, Schrödinger L.L.C., New York, 2007. http://www.schrodinger.corr