The influence of an electric field on ferroelectric-antiferroelectric frustration in smectics
- 33 Downloads
A microscopic theory describing smectic phases frustrated between ferroelectric and antiferroelectric states is generalized to the case where an external electric field is present. It is shown that two threshold values of the electric field. The first one corresponds to helix unwinding, while the second corresponds to destruction of the phase with frustrated elementary cells. The obtained theoretical conclusions are compared with the experimental results.
Key wordssmectics ferroelectrics antiferroelectrics frustration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. M. Shtykov, A. D. L. Chandani, A. V. Emelyanenko et al., Phys. Rev. E 71, 021 711 (2005).Google Scholar
- 2.A. D. L. Chandani, N. M. Shtykov, V. P. Panov et al., Phys. Rev. E 72, 041 705 (2005).Google Scholar
- 4.A. V. Emelyanenko, Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta: Fiz. Astron., No. 6, 29 (2008).Google Scholar
- 5.A. V. Emelyanenko, A. Fukuda, and J. K. Vij, Phys. Rev. E 74, 011 705 (2006).Google Scholar
- 6.A. V. Emelyanenko, E. P. Pozhidayev, N. M. Shtykov, et al., Journal of the Society for Information Display, in press.Google Scholar