Impact damage assessment by using peridynamic theory
- 179 Downloads
This study presents an application of peridynamic theory for predicting residual strength of impact damaged building components by considering a reinforced panel subjected to multiple load paths. The validity of the approach is established first by simulating a controlled experiment resulting in mixed-mode fracture of concrete. The agreement between the PD prediction and the experimentally observed behavior is remarkable especially considering the simple material model used for the concrete. Subsequently, the PD simulation concerns damage assessment and residual strength of a reinforced panel under compression after impact due to a rigid penetrator.
KeywordsImpact Damage Residual strength Peridynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kilic B., Peridynamic Theory for Progressive Failure Prediction in Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Materials, Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Univ. Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 2008Google Scholar
- Silling S.A., Dynamic Fracture Modeling with a Meshfree Peridynamic Code, Second MIT Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics, edited K.J. Bathe, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2003, 641–644Google Scholar
- Silling S.A., Askari, E., Peridynamic Modeling of Impact Damage, PVP, Vol. 489, edited by F.J. Moody, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2004, 197–205Google Scholar
- Askari E., Xu J., Silling S., Peridynamic Analysis of Damage and Failure in Composites, 44th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, 2006, AIAA 2006-88Google Scholar
- Colavito K.W., Kilic B., Celik E., Madenci E., Effect of Void Content on Stiffness and Strength of Composites by a Peridynamic Analysis and Static Indentation Test, 48th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2007, Paper No. 2007-2251Google Scholar
- Xu J., Askari A., Weckner O., Razi H., Silling S., Damage and Failure Analysis of Composite Laminates under Biaxial Loads, 48th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2007, AIAA 2007-2315Google Scholar
- Foster J.T., Silling S.A., Chen W.W., Viscoplasticity Using Peridynamics, Sandia Report, SAND2008-7835, 2008Google Scholar
- EMU website, http://www.sandia.gov/emu/emu.htm