New taxa of oribatid mites from Korup National Park, Cameroon. Genus Galumna (Acari, Oribatida, Galumnidae)
Two new species of oribatid mites of the genus Galumna (Oribatida, Galumnidae) are described from litter and soil in the Korup National Park, Cameroon. Galumna korupensis sp. n. differs from Galumna tricuspidata Engelbrecht, 1969 by the smaller body size, the presence of two oval postanal porose areas, one tooth on each lamellar lines and striate genital plates, and the absence of median pore and lateral teeth on the rostrum. Galumna cameroonica sp. n. differs from Galumna incisa Mahunka, 1982 by the presence of long cilia on bothridial heads, band-like postanal porose area, striate genital plates, three pairs of notogastral porose areas, and the position of notogastral lyrifissures im.
KeywordsGalumnid mites New species Morphology Systematics Ethiopian region
We cordially thank two anonymous reviewers for the valuable comments. The reported study was funded by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) according to the research project № 18-04-00096 and by the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic (Research Plan No. RVO: 60077344).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interests
No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
- Balogh J (1966) On some oribatid mites from Tshad and East Africa collected by prof. H. Franz, Vienna. Op Zool Budapest 6(1):69–77Google Scholar
- Engelbrecht CM (1969) Some south African species of the genus Galumna von Heyden, 1826 (Acari: Galumnidae). J Ent Soc South Afr 32(1):99–122Google Scholar
- Ermilov SG, Hugo-Coetzee EA, Khaustov AA (2018) To the knowledge of oribatid mites of the subgenus Galumna (Galumna) Heyden 1826 (Acari, Oribatida, Galumnidae) in South Africa, with a key to known species from the Ethiopian region. Zool Zh, In pressGoogle Scholar
- Heyden C (1826) Versuch einer systematischen Eintheilung der Acariden. Isis, Oken 1(4):607–613Google Scholar
- Judson M (1990) Description of the first African representative of the genus Javacarus, new record (Acari, Lohmanniidae) from Cameroon. J Afr Zool 105(4):347–354Google Scholar
- Mahunka S (1974) Neue und interessante Milben aus dem Genfer museum XVII. Data to the oribatid (Acari) fauna of Cameroun. Ann Fac Sci Cam 18:43–70Google Scholar
- Mahunka S (1982) Oribatids from the eastern part of the Ethiopian region (Acari) I. Acta Zool Acad Sci Hung 28(3–4):293–336Google Scholar
- Subías LS (2004) Listado sistemático, sinonímico y biogeográfico de los ácaros oribátidos (Acariformes: Oribatida) del mundo (excepto fósiles). Graellsia 60:3–305. Online version accessed in February 2017, 598 ppGoogle Scholar