Determination of catechin and epicatechin in the peel of apple varieties resistant and non-resistant to apple scab
- 163 Downloads
Catechin and epicatechin were analysed in the peel of six apple cultivars (three resistant and three non-resistant to apple scab). Two methods of analytical sample preparation following extraction were tested: solid phase extraction and column separation with Sephadex LH-20 coupled to a differential refractometric detector. Prior to GC and GC-MS analyses, these compounds were silylized. This permitted co-injection with standards and the comparison of retention values and mass spectra with those recorded for standards. The content of catechin and epicatechin in apple peel is discussed in relation to the resistance of apple trees to scab.
Keywordscatechins apple scab refractometric detector GC GC-MS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Meszka, B., & Bielenin, A. (2006). Effect of saprotrophic microorganisms on the development of Venturia inaequalis pseudothecia. Zeszyty Naukowe Instytutu Sadownictwa i Kwiaciarstwa, 14. (in Polish).Google Scholar
- Montealegre, R. R., Peces, R. R., Vozmediano, J. L. C., Gascueña, J. M., & Romero, E. G. (2006). Phenolic compounds in skins and seeds of ten grape Vitis vinifera varieties grown in a warm climate. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 19, 687–693. DOI: 10.1016/j.jfca.2005.05.003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Napolitano, A., Cascone, A., Graziani, G., Ferracane, R., Scalfi, L., Di Vaio, C., Ritieni, A., & Fogliano, V. (2004). Influence of variety and storage on the polyphenol composition of apple flesh. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 52, 6526–6531. DOI: 10.1021/jf049822w.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saito, S. T., Fröehlich, P. E., Gosmann, G., & Bergold, A. M. (2007). Full validation of a simple method for determination of catechins and caffeine in Brazilian green tea (Camellia sinensis var. assamica) using HPLC. Chromatographia, 65, 607–610. DOI: 10.1365/s10337-007-0190-1.Google Scholar
- van der Sluis, A. A., Dekker, M., de Jager, A., & Jongen, W. M. F. (2001). Activity and concentration of polyphenolic antioxidants in apple: Effect of cultivar, harvest year, and storage conditions. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 49, 3606–3613. DOI: 10.1021/jf001493u.CrossRefGoogle Scholar