Redescription of Caligus serratus Shiino, 1965 (Copepoda: Caligidae) parasitic on eleven fish species from Chamela Bay in the Mexican Pacific
- First Online:
- 93 Downloads
Caligus serratus Shiino, 1965 (Copepoda: Caligidae), a parasite on 11 fish species caught in Chamela Bay off the Pacific Coast of Mexico, is redescribed based on material found on Pacific agujon needlefish Tylosurus pacificus (Steindachner, 1876). Caligus serratus can be distinguished from its congeners by the combination of the following characters: i) short abdomen (approximately 0.2 times as long as cephalothorax), ii) pointed posteromedial process on the first segment of the antenna, iii) sternal furca with bluntly pointed, diverging tines, and iv) leg 4 exopod bearing 3 unequal, distal spines (the shortest 0.2 times the length of the longest). Microphotographs of female and illustrations of both female and male are provided. The redescription of this species might be useful given its low host specificity.
KeywordsSiphonostomatoida parasitic crustaceans marine fish tropical Pacific Mexico
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ho J.-S. 2000. The major problem of cage aquaculture in Asia relating to sea lice. In: (Eds. I.C. Liao and C.K Lin) Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Cage Aquaculture in Asia. Manila: Asian Fisheries Society, Bangkok: World Aquaculture Society, Southeast Asian Chapter, 13–19.Google Scholar
- Ho J.-S. 2004. Invasiveness of sea lice (Copepoda: Caligidae) in marine aquaculture. Journal of the Fisheries Society of Taiwan, 31, 85–99.Google Scholar
- Ho J.-S., Lin C.-L. 2004. Sea Lice of Taiwan (Copepoda: Siphonostomatoida: Caligidae). The Sueichan Press, Keelung, Taiwan, 388 pp.Google Scholar
- Johnson S.C., Treasurer J.W., Bravo S., Nagasawa K., Kabata Z. 2004. A review of the impact of parasitic copepods on marine aquaculture. Zoological Studies, 43, 229–243.Google Scholar
- Morales-Serna F.N., Gómez S., Pérez-Ponce de León G. 2012. Parasitic copepods reported from Mexico. Zootaxa, 3234, 43–68.Google Scholar
- Morales-Serna F.N., Pinacho-Pinacho C., Gómez S., Pérez-Ponce de León G. Diversity of sea lice (Copepoda: Caligidae) parasitic on marine fishes with commercial and aquaculture importance in Chamela Bay, Pacific coast of Mexico by using DNA barcoding and with description of a new species of Caligus. Parasitology International, submitted.Google Scholar
- Shiino S.M. 1965. Parasitic copepods of the eastern Pacific fishes. Report of Faculty of Fisheries, Prefectural University of Mie, 5, 391–420.Google Scholar