Occurrence of antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii in water buffaloes and meat cattle in Rio Grande do Sul State, southern Brazil
- 116 Downloads
Serum samples from 169 water buffaloes and 121 beef cattle were analyzed for antibodies to T. gondii by an indirect fluorescent antibody test (IFAT). Positive results were obtained in 27.2% of water buffaloes and 17.4% of cattle. Statistical analysis indicated significant differences between the prevalence in cattle and buffalo (p ≤ 0.05). The highest titres found in positive animals were 1:256 (buffaloes) and 1:64 (cattle). In both bovine species, toxoplasmosis frequency in young animals (less than 2 years old) was lower compared to older individuals, although the differences seen in cattle were not statistically significant.
KeywordsBubalus bubalis water buffaloes toxoplasmosis cattle felids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Camargo M.E. 1974. Introdução às técnicas de imunofluorescência. Revista Brasileira de Patologia Clínica, 10, 87–107.Google Scholar
- Dubey J.P., Beattie C.P. 1988. Toxoplasmosis of Animals and Man. CRC: Press, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Dubey J.P., Thulliez P. 1994. Persistence of tissue cysts in edible tissues of cattle fed Toxoplasma gondii oocysts. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 54, 270–273.Google Scholar
- Dubey J.P. 2010.Toxoplasmosis of Animals and Humans CRC: Press, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Epi Info [online]. 2005 [cited 2008 Feb 10]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/epiinfo/ei2005.htm.
- Kakar M.N., Kakarsulemankhel J.K. 2008. Prevalence of endo (trematodes) and ecto-parasites in cows and buffaloes of Quetta, Pakistan. Pakistan Veterinary Journal, 28, 34–36.Google Scholar
- Silva J.C., Marvulo M.F.V., Dias R., Ferreira F., Amaku M., Adania C.H., Ferreira Neto J. S. 2007. Risk factors associated with sero-positivity to Toxoplasma gondii in captive neotropical felids from Brazil. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 78, 286–295. DOI: 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2006.10.013.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silva S.P., Mota R.A., Faria E.B., Fernandes E.F.T.S, Neto O.L.S., Albuquerque P.P.F., Dias H.L.T. 2010. Anticorpos IgG anti-Neospora caninum e Toxoplasma gondii em búfalas (Bubalus bubalis) criadas no estado do Pará. Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research, 30, 443–446.Google Scholar
- Speare R. 1985. The veterinary aspects of man as an intermediate host for Toxoplasma gondii. Australian Veterinary Practice, 15, 11–18.Google Scholar