PCR amplification and DNA sequence analysis of parasitic intestinal protozoa in specimens stained with Chlorazol Black E
- 213 Downloads
Chlorazol Black E (CBE) stain has been used for the detection and identification of intestinal parasitic protozoa. In recent years, genotyping of protozoa has been performed to examine pathogenicity and for epidemiologic analysis. In this study, protozoan DNA was amplified from preserved human fecal specimens stained with CBE that were positive for Giardia intestinalis (syn. G. lamblia and G. duodenalis), Chilomastix mesnili, Pentatrichomonas hominis, and Entamoeba histolytica. DNA was amplified from 11 of the 12 (91.6%) samples examined. DNA from CBE-stained smears of G. intestinalis, E. histolytica, and P. hominis was amplified, whereas any amplification product could not be obtained from one of three smears of C. mesnili. Storage term and protozoan number had no association with results of PCR amplification. In genotyping of G. intestinalis, four out of six (66.7%) samples were of genotype AI, while the remaining two (33.3%) samples were of genotype B. The amplified DNA sequences showed high similarity (>99%) with that of G. intestinalis in the GenBank database. These results suggest that DNA remains stable in CBE-stained smears for long term. The present study demonstrates that nuclear extracts from specimens stained with CBE can be amplified by PCR and suggests that specimens stored for extended periods could be applied to genetic and prospective epidemiologic analyses.
KeywordsChlorazol Black E intestinal protozoa Giardia intestinalis genotyping Thermococcus kodakaraensis KOD1
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amar C., Pedraza-Díaz S., McLauchlin J. 2001. Extraction and genotyping of Cryptosporidium parvum DNA from fecal smears on glass slides stained conventionally for direct microscope examination. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 39, 401–403. DOI: 10.1128/JCM.39.1.401-403.2001.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Amar C.F., Dear P.H., Pedraza-Diaz S., Looker N., Linnane E., McLauchlin J. 2002. Sensitive PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism assay for detection and genotyping of Giardia duodenalis in human feces. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 40, 446–452. DOI: 10.1128/JCM.40.2.446-452.2002.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bhattacharya D., Haque R., Singh U. 2005. Coding and noncoding genomic regions of Entamoeba histolytica have significantly different rates of sequence polymorphisms: implications for epidemiological studies. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 43, 4815–4819. DOI: 10.1128/JCM.43.9.4815-4819.2005.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gleason N.N., Healy G.R. 1965. Modification and evaluation of Kohn’s one-step staining technic for intestinal protozoa in feces or tissue. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 43, 494–496.Google Scholar
- Kohn J. 1960. A one stage permanent staining method for faecal protozoa. Dapim Refuiim 19: IV–V.Google Scholar
- Ramos F., Zurabian R., Morán P., Ramiro M., Gómez A., Clark C.G., Melendro E.I., García G., Ximénez C. 1999. The effect of formalin fixation on the polymerase chain reaction characterization of Entamoeba histolytica. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 93, 335–336. DOI: 10.1016/S0035-9203(99)90045-7.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Traub R.J., Monis P.T., Robertson I., Irwin P., Mencke N., Thompson R.C. 2004. Epidemiological and molecular evidence supports the zoonotic transmission of Giardia among humans and dogs living in the same community. Parasitology, 128, 253–262. DOI: 10.1017/S0031182003004505.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van der Giessen J.W., de Vries A., Roos M., Wielinga P., Kortbeek L.M., Mank T.G. 2006. Genotyping of Giardia in Dutch patients and animals: a phylogenetic analysis of human and animal isolates. International Journal for Parasitology, 36, 849–858. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpara.2006.03.001.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar