Metabolic profiling of Echinostoma caproni and Schistosoma mansoni in their definitive and intermediate hosts
This review examines metabolic profiling of Schistosoma mansoni and Echinostoma caproni in their definitive and intermediate hosts. The earlier coverage of the literature on metabolic profiling was reviewed by Wang et al. 2010, Advances in Parasitology, 73, 373–404 and covered mainly studies using proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. The methods focused upon in our review are mainly chromatographic. In the studies reviewed, various metabolites were analyzed in hosts infected with either E. caproni or S. mansoni and compared to the uninfected controls.
KeywordsMetabolic profiling trematodes Schistosoma mansoni Echinostoma caproni chromatography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bandstra S.R., Murray K.E., Fried B., Sherma J. 2007. High performance thin layer chromatographic analysis of neutral lipids in the feces of BALB/c mice infected with Echinostoma caproni. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies, 30, 1437–1445. DOI: 10.1080/10826070701277034.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cline D.J., Fried B., Sherma J. 1999. High performance thin layer chromatography determination of carbohydrates in the hemolymph and digestive gland of Lymnaea elodes (Gastropoda: Lymnaeidae). Veliger, 42, 185–188.Google Scholar
- Counihan J., Fried B., Sherma J. 2010. Effects of Echinostoma caproni infection on the neutral and polar lipids of intestinal and non-intestinal organs in the BALB/c mouse as determined by high performance thin layer chromatography. Parasitology Research, 107, 947–953. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-010-1959-y.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jarusiewicz J., Sherma J., Fried B. 2006. Thin layer chromatographic analysis of glucose and maltose in estivated Biomphalaria glabrata snails and those infected with Schistosoma mansoni. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 145B,3–4, 346–349. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbpb.2006.08.008.Google Scholar
- Mangold H.K. 1969. Thin-layer chromatography, 2nd edn. Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Massa D.R., Chejlava M.J., Fried B., Sherma J. 2007. High performance column liquid chromatographic analysis of selected carboxylic acids in Biomphalaria glabrata patently infected with Schistosoma mansoni. Parasitology Research, 101, 925–928. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-007-0563-2.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Massa D.R., Vasta J.D., Fried B., Sherma J. 2008. High performance thin-layer chromatographic analysis of the polar lipid content of human urine and urine from BALB/c mice experimentally infected with Echinostoma caproni. Journal of Planar Chromatography — Modern TLC, 21, 337–341. DOI: 10.1556/JPC.21.2008.5.4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Muller E., Fried B., Sherma J. 2000. HPTLC analysis of neutral lipids in Biomphalaria glabrata snails infected with Schistosoma mansoni. Journal of Planar Chromatography — Modern TLC, 13, 228–230.Google Scholar
- Murray K.E., Fried B., Sherma J. 2007. Determination of the phospholipid and sphingolipid content in the feces of uninfected BALB/c mice and those infected with Echinostoma caproni by high performance thin layer chromatography with densitometry. Acta Chromatographica, 18, 190–198.Google Scholar
- O’sullivan C., Popovic N., Fried B., Sherma J. 2012. Effect of Schistosoma mansoni on the neutral and polar lipids in the liver, spleen and small intestine of mice as determined by high performance thin layer chromatography. Journal of Planar Chromatography — Modern TLC, 25, 259–261. DOI: 10.1556/JPC.25.2012.3.12.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saric J., Li J.V., Wang Y.L., Keiser J., Bundy J.G., Holmes E., Utzinger J. 2008. Metabolic profiling of an Echinostoma caproni infection in the mouse for biomarker discovery. Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, 2, No. e 254. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0000254.Google Scholar
- Vasta J., Fried B., Sherma J. 2009. Determination and quantification of amino acids in the urine of BALB/c mice infected with Echinostoma caproni by high performance thin layer chromatography- densitometry. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies, 32, 1210–1222. DOI: 10.1080/10826070902854573.CrossRefGoogle Scholar