Molecular identification of Trichinella britovi in martens (Martes martes) and badgers (Meles meles); new host records in Poland
- 181 Downloads
Trichinella larvae were detected in a marten (Martes martes) and a badger (Meles meles) in Poland. The animals were found dead following car accidents. All examined animals derived from the Mazurian Lake district, north-east Poland, near the village Kosewo Górne where Trichinella infection were earlier confirmed in wildlife; red foxes and wild boars. The muscle samples were examined by artificial pepsin-HCl digestion method. The parasites were identified as Trichinella britovi by multiplex polymerase chain reaction method. Larvae were found in two out of three martens and one out of seven examined badgers. This is the first report of the identification of Trichinella britovi larvae from martens and badgers in Poland.
KeywordsTrichinella britovi marten badger PCR Poland
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balestrieri A., Remonti L., Ferrari N., Ferrari A., Lo Valvo T., Roberto S., Orusa R. 2006. Sarcoptic mange in wild carnivores and its co-occurrence with parasitic helminths in the Western Italian Alps. European Journal of Wildlife Research, 52, 196–201. DOI: 10.1007/s10344-006-0036-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brglez J. 1988. Some endohelminths in badgers, Meles meles L., in Slovenia. Zbornik Biotehniske Fakultete Univerze Edvarda Kardelja v Ljubljani. Veterinarstvo, 25, 251–257.Google Scholar
- Cabaj W., Pozio E., Moskwa B., Malczewski A. 2000. Trichinella britovi and T. spiralis in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) in Poland. Acta Parasitologica, 45, 340–344.Google Scholar
- Cabaj W., Moskwa B., Pastusiak K., Malczewski A. 2004. WŁośnica u zwierząt wolno żyjących i świń w Polsce. Medycyna Weterynaryjna, 60, 80–83 [In Polish with English summary].Google Scholar
- Cabaj W., PrzyjaŁkowski Z. 1987. Biological characteristics of Trichinella spiralis and T. pseudospiralis infections in mice. Acta Parasitologica Polonica, 32, 195–204.Google Scholar
- Gamble H.R, Bessonov A.S., Cuperlovic K., Gajadhar A.A., van Knapen F., Nöeckler K., Schenone H., Zhu X. 2000. International Commission on Trichinellosis: recommendations on methods for the control of Trichinella in domestic and wild animals intended for human consumption. Veterinary Parasitology, 93, 393–408.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Woodroffe R., Macdonald D.W. 1993. Badger sociality-models of spatial grouping. Symposia of the Zoological Society of London, 65, 145–169.Google Scholar