Philometroides acanthopagri sp. nov., a new philometrid (Nematoda, Philometridae) from the musculature of Acanthopagrus latus (Sparidae) from marine waters of Iraq
A new nematode species, Philometroides acanthopagri sp. nov. (Philometridae), is described from gravid and subgravid specimens found in the musculature near pectoral fins and in nasal cavity of the yellowfin seabream Acanthopagrus latus (Houttuyn) (Sparidae, Perciformes) from marine waters off the coast of southern Iraq. Based on light and scanning electron microscopical examination, the new species differs from its congeners in a combination of morphological and biometrical features. It is the first species of Philometroides reported from a sparid fish and the first representative of this genus recorded from fishes in the Arabian Gulf. A key to Philometroides species parasitizing marine and brackish-water fishes is provided.
KeywordsParasitic nematode Philometroides marine fish Acanthopagrus Arabian Gulf Iraq
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-Salim N.K., Ali A.H. 2011. First record of three nematode species parasitized [sic] some marine fishes in Iraq. Journal of Basrah Researches (Sciences), 37, 17–26.Google Scholar
- El-Naffar M.K., Gobashy A.F., El-Etraby S., Kardousha M.M. 1992. General survey of helminth parasite genera of Arabian Gulf fish (coasts of United Arab Emirates). Arab Gulf Journal of Scientific Research, 10, 99–110.Google Scholar
- Froese R., Pauly D. (Eds.) 2012. FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication, www.fishbase.org, version April/2012.
- Kardousha M.M. 1992. Helminth parasite larvae collected from Arabian Gulf fish (coasts of the United Arab Emirates). (I) Anisakid larvae (Nematoda: Anisakidae). Japanese Journal of Parasitology, 41, 464–472.Google Scholar
- Kardousha M.M. 1999. The first record of Philometra lateolabracis Yamaguti, 1935 [sic] (Nematoda: Spirurida; Philometridae) from teleost fishes of the Arabian Gulf. Qatar University Science Journal, 18, 131–136.Google Scholar
- Moravec F. 2006. Dracunculoid and anguillicoloid nematodes parasitic in vertebrates. Academia, Prague, 634 pp.Google Scholar
- Moravec F., Gaglio G., Panebianco A., Giannetto S. 2008. Two species of Philometra (Nematoda: Philometridae) from sparid fishes (porgies) off Sicily, Italy, including Philometra obladae sp. n. from the body cavity of Oblada melanura (Sparidae). Parasitology Research, 104, 55–61. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-008-1158-2.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Parukhin A.M. 1976. Parasitic worms of commercial fishes of the southern seas. Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 183 pp. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Petter A.J., Sey O. 1997. Nematode parasites of marine fishes from Kuwait, with a description of Cucullanus trachinoti n. sp. from Trachinotus blochi. Zoosystema, 19, 35–59.Google Scholar
- Yamaguti S. 1961. Studies on the helminth fauna of Japan. Part 57. Nematodes of fishes, III. Journal of Helminthology, R. T. Leiper Supplement, pp. 217–228.Google Scholar