Tidal waves in the atmosphere and their effects
- 90 Downloads
A method of high resolution periodic signal reconstruction has been developed and implemented into software algorithms. This method, that utilizes a narrow band-pass filter, permits the detection of tidal waves in the atmosphere. Our paper describes and reviews the strength of this method, commonly referred to as the KZFT algorithm. The focus of this paper is given to the recovery of tides in the atmosphere as well as to a discussion of specifics of the reconstruction of these waves. We conclude with several examples regarding the impact of the tidal wave to other atmospheric variables, including wind speed and cloud cover, but details are left for further investigation.
Key wordstides in atmosphere Kolmogorov-Zurbenko Fourier Transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chapman, S., and R.S. Lindzen (1970), Atmospheric Tides, Gordon and Breach, New York.Google Scholar
- Potrzeba, A.L., I.G. Zurbenko (2008), Algorithm of periodic signal reconstruction with applications to tidal waves in atmosphere. In: JSM Proceedings, Poster topic engineering and physical sciences, chemometrics, American Statistical Association, Alexandria, VA.Google Scholar
- Siebert, M. (1961), Atmospheric tides, In: H.E. Landsberg and J. van Mieghem (eds.), Advances in Geophysics 7, Academic Press, New York, 105–187.Google Scholar
- Tsakiri, K.G. and I.G. Zurbenko (2008), Destructive effect of the noise in principal component analysis with applications to ozone pollutions. In: JSM Proceedings, Statistical Computing Section, American Statistical Association, Alexandria, VA.Google Scholar
- Wang, Z. and P.J. Vickery (2005), The integration of a hurricane wind hazard model with deep-water and near-shore wave models. In: OCEANS: Proceedings of MTS/IEEE 1, 337–344.Google Scholar
- Yang, W., and I.G. Zurbenko (2007), KZFT: Kolmogorov-Zurbenko Fourier Transform and Applications, R package Version 0.17.Google Scholar
- Yang, W., and I.G. Zurbenko (2010a), Nonstationarity, Wiley Interdiscipl. Reviews: Computational Statistics (to appear in 2010).Google Scholar
- Yang, W., and I.G. Zurbenko (2010b), Kolmogorov-Zurbenko filters, Wiley Interdiscipl. Reviews: Computational Statistics (to appear in 2010).Google Scholar
- Zurbenko, I.G. (1986), The Spectral Analysis of Time Series, North-Holland Amsterdam.Google Scholar