Opinions of Czech general practitioners on generic drugs and substitution
The aim of the study was to map and analyze general practitioners` opinions of, attitudes towards and experiences with generic drugs and generic substitution (GS) in the Czech Republic. General practitioners (GPs) who took part in the annual and regional professional conferences of the Society of General Practice in the period from November 2008 until March 2009 were asked to complete the 28-item questionnaire concerning the issue of generic drugs and GS. Questions were organized in 5 sections aimed at assessing the attitude towards GS, understanding the legislation and opinions on statements related to GS. All data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and correlations were tested by selected parametric and non-parametric tests. Total of 263 completed questionnaires were returned (mean age of 52.2 years (SD=13.7), 177 (67.3%) females and 248 (94.3%) GPs having a practice specialization). 99 (37.6%) respondents have considered generic drugs to be bioequivalent to the respective brand name drugs. 121 (46.0%) respondents believed that generic drugs are of lower quality than brand name drugs. None of respondent showed acquaintance with all the legal rules for GS. Awareness of the legislation and attitude towards GS correlated with the age (p<0.001). In conclusion, distrust among GPs in generic drugs derives from poor knowledge and personal experiences.
KeywordsGeneral practitioner Brand name drug Generic drug Generic substitution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pechlivanoglou P., van der Veen W.J., Bos J.H., Postma M.J., Analyzing generic and branded substitution patterns in the Netherlands using prescription data, BMC Health Serv Res., 2011, 11Google Scholar
- Institute of Health Information and Statistics of the Czech Republic. Economic information on health care 2010 [online]. 2011 [cited 2012-5-25]. Available from http://www.uzis.cz/en/publications/economic-information-health-care-2010
- Czech Republic, Act No. 378/2007 on Pharmaceuticals, In: Catch III Registration of pharmaceuticals and steps related to their registration, Article 25, 2008, 115, 22–3, (in Czech)Google Scholar
- State Institute for Drug Control, The physician’s and pharmacist’s roles derived from the new Act on Pharmaceuticals, Pharmacotherapeutic information 2/2008, A monthly for physicians and pharmacists, 2008, 2, 1–4, (in Czech)Google Scholar
- Andersson K., Sonesson C., Petzold M., Carlsten A., Lönnroth K., What are the obstacles to generic substitution? An assessment of the behaviour of prescribers, patients and pharmacies during the first year of generic substitution in Sweden, Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf., 2005, 14, 341–348 ReferencesPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Institute of Health Information and Statistics of the Czech Republic, Physicians, Dentists and Pharmacists 2008 [online]. 2010 [cited 2012-5-25]. Available from www.uzis.cz/system/files/lekfar2008.pdf
- European Medicines Agency, Guideline on the investigation of bioequivalence. CPMP/EWP/QWP/1401/98 Rev. 1/Corr ** [online]. 2010 [cited 2012-5-25]. Available from http://www.emea.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2010/01/WC500070039.pdf
- Czech Republic, Act No. 48/1997 on public health insurance, In: Part VI Regulation of pricing and reimbursement of drugs and food for special medical purposes, Article 39, 1997, 16, 35–59, (in Czech)Google Scholar
- van der Meersch A., Dechartres A., Ravaud P., Quality of reporting of bioequivalence trials comparing generic to brand name drugs: a methodological systematic review, PLoS One., 2011, 6Google Scholar
- Timonen J., Bengtström M., Karttunen P., Ahonen R., The impact of generic substitution on the activities of pharmaceutical companies — a survey from the companies’ perspective one year and five years after the introduction of generic substitution in Finland, BMC Clin Pharmacol., 2010, 10Google Scholar
- Danish Health and Medicines Authority, Bioequivalence and labeling of medicines with regard to generic substitution [online]. Updated 2012-2 -07 [cited 2012-5-25]. Available from http://laegemiddelstyrelsen.dk/en/topics/authorisationand-supervision/licensing-of-medicines/marketingauthorisation/application-for-marketing-authorisation/bioequivalence-and-labelling-of-medicine-bstitution.aspx Google Scholar