Association between Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease and Streptococcus pneumoniae infection
- 31 Downloads
Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease is a rare histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis that affects typically young women causing fever and painful laterocervical lymphadenopathy. The etiology is unknown, but several viral infections and autoimmune diseases have been related with the disease. Bacterial infections are less frequent. Diagnosis needs for excisional lymph node biopsy that shows paracortical areas of coagulative necrosis with abundant debris, distortion of the nodal architecture, and a large amount of histiocytes at the margins of the necrotic areas. There is no specific treatment for the disease. We present the case of a young woman with Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease associated with lower respiratory tract infection by Streptococcus pneumoniae and review the literature.
KeywordsKikuchi-Fujimoto disease Histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis Streptococcus pneumoniae
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kikuchi M. Lymphadenitis showing focal reticulum cell hyperplasia with nuclear debris and phagocytosis. Nippon Ketsueki Gakkai Zasshi. 1972;35:379–380 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Fujimoto Y, Kozima Y, Yamaguchi K. Cervical subacute necrotizing lymphadenitis: a new clinicopathological entity. Naika. 1972;30:920–927 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Tsang WY, Chan JK, Ng CS. Kikuchi’s lymphadenitis. A morphologic analysis of 75 cases with special reference to unusual features. Am J Surg Pathol. 1994;18:219–231Google Scholar
- Yalcin S, Toprak SK, Erismis B, Altundag O, Ozdemir H, Topcuoglu N. Management of kikuchifujimoto disease using glucocorticoid: a case report. Case Report Med. 2011; Volume 2011, Article ID 230840, 3 pagesGoogle Scholar
- Di Lernia V, Bajocchi G, Piana S. Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus onset preceded by Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2013;4:6Google Scholar
- Ohta K, Endo N, Kaizaki Y. Axillary and intramammary lymphadenopathy caused by Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease mimicking malignant lymphoma. Breast Cancer. 2009. DOI: 10.1007/s12282-009-0182-0Google Scholar
- Ishimura M, Yamamoto H, Mizuno Y, Takada H, Goto M, Doi T, Hoshina T, Ohga S, Ohshina K, Hara T. A non-invasive diagnosis of histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis by means of gene expression profile analysis of peripheral blood mononuclear cells J Clin Immunol. 2013; 33: 1018–1026.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar