A case of myositis with immunological background associated with statin use
- 101 Downloads
Statins might cause and/or aggravate the immune-mediated myositis in patients on long-term, stable treatment. We provide a case of polymyositis with an immunological background and gastrointestinal and urinary manifestations in patient on long-term, stable atorvastatin treatment for the past six years. The diagnose of polymyositis was established based on clinical symptoms and signs, electromyography and laboratory test results (elevated aspartate aminotransferase 279 U/L, reference range 0–40 U/L; alanine aminotransferase 198 U/L, 0–33 U/L; lactate dehydrogenase 2200 U/L, 103-227 U/L; creatine kinase 7820 U/L, 15–84 U/L; and positive antinuclear antibodies test, titer of 1:160, with suspect antisynthetase antibodies). Polymyositis was probably related to atorvastatin treatment (Naranjo score, 5). Other probable causes of the myositis were rejected. Coricosteroid therapy, methotrexate and supplementation with vitamin D did not improve the condition. The patient remained bedridden and died two months after the hospital discharge due to the acute myocardial infarction.
KeywordsMyositis Atorvastatin Vitamin D
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Todorovic Z., Nesic Z., Stojanović R., Basta-Jovanović G., Radojevic-Skodrić S., Velicković R., et al., Acute protective effects of simvastatin in the rat model of renal ischemia-reperfusion injury: it is never too late for the pretreatment, J. Pharmacol. Sci., 2008, 107, 465–470PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hoffman K.B., Kraus C., Dimbil M., Beatrice A. Golomb B. A., A survey of the FDA’s AERS database regarding muscle and adverse events linked to the statin drug class. http://plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0042866. (accessed 2013 Jan 31)
- McKenney J. M., Dyslipidemias, atherosclerosis, and coronary heart disease, In: Koda-Kimble M. A (ed.), Applied therapeutics: the clinical use of drugs. 8th ed., Lippencott Williams & Wilkins, 2005Google Scholar
- Anonymous. Real world drug outcomes, personalized. http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/Lipitor. (accessed 2013 Jan 15)
- Glueck C. J., Abuchaibe C., Wang P., Symptomatic myositis-myalgia in hypercholesterolemic statintreated patients with concurrent vitamin D deficiency leading to statin intolerance may reflect a reversible interaction between vitamin D deficiency and statins on skeletal muscle, Med. Hypotheses, 2011, 77, 658–661PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Transfeldt E. E., Morley J.E., Segal F., Klein A., Bill P., Fancourt M., Polymyositis as a cause of malabsorption, S. Afr. Med., J 1997, 51, 176–178Google Scholar
- Tzioufas A. G., 2001, Antisynthetase syndrome. https://www.orpha.net/data/patho/GB/uk-antisynthetase.pdf (accessed 2013 Feb 08)Google Scholar