A triad of endocarditis, endophthalmitis, and meningitis
- 54 Downloads
Streptococcus pneumoniae is an uncommon cause of infective endocarditis; it often requires prolonged antibacterial treatment and involves a high mortality rate. We report a rare case of pneumococcal endocarditis manifesting with unusual complications — meningitis and endophthalmitis. Streptococcus pneumoniae species grew from the cerebrospinal fluid. The diagnosis of native aortic valve infective endocarditis was confirmed after some delay by transesophageal echocardiography. The patient’s eye was lost because of infective complications, but his life was saved following an aggressive antibacterial therapy in combination with an immediate aortic valve replacement.
KeywordsStreptococcus pneumoniae Endocarditis Meningitis Endophthalmitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Karchmer A.W., Infective endocarditis, In: Bonow R.O., Mann D.L., Zipes D.P., Libby P. (Eds.), Braunwald’s heart disease: a textbook of cardiovascular medicine, 9th ed., Pa: Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2012Google Scholar
- Habib G., Hoen B., Tornos P., Thuny F., Prendergast B., Vilacosta I. et al., ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines. Guidelines on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of infective endocarditis (new version 2009): the Task Force on the Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID) and the International Society of Chemotherapy (ISC) for Infection and Cancer, Eur. Heart. J., 2009, 30, 2369–2413PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sexton D.J., Invasive pneumococcal (Streptococcus pneumoniae) infections and bacteremia, available in the UpToDate database (http://www.uptodate.com/home)
- Sonneville R., Mirabel M., Hajage D., Tubach F., Vignon P., Perez P. et al., on behalf of ENDOcardite en REAnimation Study Group, Neurologic complications and outcomes of infective endocarditis in critically ill patients: the ENDOcardite en REAnimation prospective multicenter study, Crit. Care Med., 2011, 39, 1474–1481PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Baddour L.M., Wilson W.R., Bayer A.S., Fowler V.G. Jr., Bolger A.F., Levison M.E., Infective endocarditis: diagnosis, antimicrobial therapy, and management of complications: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Committee on Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, and the Councils on Clinical Cardiology, Stroke, and Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia, American Heart Association: endorsed by the Infectious Diseases Society of America, Circulation, 2005, 111, 394–434CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fayad G., Vincentelli A., Leroy G., Devos P., Amr G., Prat A. et al., Impact of antimicrobial therapy on prognosis of patients requiring valve surgery during active infective endocarditis, J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., 2012, http://www.jtcvsonline.org/article/S0022-5223(12)01285-8/fulltext Google Scholar