The incidence of pulmonary tuberculosis among the homeless in north-eastern Poland
- 104 Downloads
Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease particularly affecting the poorest socioeconomic groups. One such group in Central Europe are the homeless. We developed a prevention programme that targets, among others, homeless individuals in Warmia and Mazury Province (in the northeast of Poland). We investigated 121 homeless persons. We performed surveys, X-rays and microbiological tests of the sputum for TB. Five cases of pulmonary TB were found. The prevalence of TB in this community was estimated at 4132 per 100,000 (4.13%). Efficient TB control justifies continued prevention programmes aimed at the systematic monitoring of the homeless population.
KeywordsTuberculosis homelessness poverty risk groups Poland
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Office of the Marshal of the Warminsko-Mazurskie Province. Informacja dotycząca problematyki bezdomności na terenie województwa Warmińsko-Mazurskiego. Stan na dzień 15 września 2010 r. http://wrota.warmia.mazury.pl
- Tuberculosis Transmission in a Homeless Shelter Population. New York, 2000–2003. 2005; Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (http://www.cdc.gov/)
- Romaszko J, Rosłan A, Buciński A, Romaszko E. An evaluation of the incidence of selected diseases of social importance in the homeless population. Zdrowie Publ. 2006; 116: 3–7Google Scholar
- Romaszko J, Buciński A, Cichowski L, Rychlicka M, Incidence of tuberculosis among homeless people in the Warmińsko-Mazurskie Province (Poland). Zdrowie Publ. 2008; 118: 27–31Google Scholar
- Pataki, G., Á. Megyesi, and I. Fehér. 2003. Annual report of the Hungarian medical care centers in respiratory medicine, 2002. National Korányi Institute for Tuberculosis and Respiratory Medicine, Budapest, HungaryGoogle Scholar
- Beijer U, Wolf A, Fazel S. Prevalence of tuberculosis, hepatitis C virus, and HIV in homeless people: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2012. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(12)70177-9]
- NICE. Tuberculosis — hard-to-reach groups (PH37). Manchester: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, 2012Google Scholar