Vaccination in children with cancer: a debate
Children with malignancy present an important alteration of the immune system functionality caused by the illness itself and by the therapy they undergo. Therefore, they are at high risk of contracting vaccine-preventable diseases and of developing important complications. Vaccinations represent valid devices against these infections but this condition involves two main problems: are vaccines safe in these patients? Are vaccines effective in these patients? The aim of this review is to discuss the principles of vaccination management in children with cancer.
KeywordsVaccination Children Cancer Immunosuppression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- National Institute of Allergy and Incfetious Diseases. 2011 available at: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/vaccines/Pages/Default.aspx
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Varicella-zoster infections. In: Pickering LK, Baker CJ, Kimberlin DW, et al editors (2009) Red Book: 2009 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; pp714–727Google Scholar
- Caniza M.A., et al., The controversy of varicella vaccination in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Pediatr. Blood Cancer, 2010, (Epub ahead of print)Google Scholar
- O’Brien K.L., Swift A.J., Winkelstein J.A., Santosham M., Stover B., Luddy R., et al., Safety and immunogenicity of heptavalent pneumococcal vaccine conjugated to CRM(197) among infants with sickle cell disease. Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Study Group, Pediatrics, 2000, 106, 965–972Google Scholar
- American Academy of Pediatrics. In: Pickering LK, Baker CJ, Long SS, et al (2006) eds. Red Book: 2006 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 27th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics.Google Scholar
- Esposito S., Cecinati V., Scicchitano B., Delvecchio G.C., Santoro N., Amato D., et al., Impact of influenza-like illness and effectiveness of influenza vaccination in oncohematological children who have completed cancer therapy, Vaccine, 2010, 10,28, 1558–1565. Epub 2009 Dec 8CrossRefGoogle Scholar