EMMPRIN and fascin expression in non-small cell lung carcinoma
- 35 Downloads
Fascin and EMMPRIN (CD 147) have a demonstrated relationship with the invasion and progression of many tumors. The aim of this study was to analyze fascin and EMMPRIN expression in non-small cell lung carcinoma and their relationship with clinicopathologic features. Fascin and EMMPRIN expression levels were investigated via the immunohistochemistry of paraffin-embedded tissues of 64 patients with non-small cell lung carcinoma, including 46 squamous cell carcinoma and 18 adenocarcinoma patients. The patients were scored on the basis of staining extent and intensity, and were then assigned a combined score. Fascin expression was present in 44 of 46 (95.6%) patients with SCC and 16 of 18 (88.8%) patients with adenocarcinoma. There was a significant correlation between fascin expression and tumor stage in the SCC and adenocarcinoma groups. EMMPRIN expression was observed in all patients with SCC (46 of 46, 100%) and 16 of 18 (88.8%) patients with adenocarcinoma. There was significant correlation between EMMPRIN expression and both tumor stage and diameter in the SCC group, but not in the adenocarcinoma group. This study revealed that high levels of fascin and EMMPRIN expression may indicate the importance of their roles in the progression of non-small cell lung carcinoma and they could be used as prognostic marker for these tumors.
KeywordsFascin EMMPRIN CD 147 Lung carcinoma Non-small cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Husain A.N., The Lung, In: Kumar V., Abbas A.K., Fausto N., Aster J.C. eds. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. Eighth Edition, Philadelphia, Saunders Elsevier, 2010, 677–737Google Scholar
- Perner S., Wagner P.L., Soltermann A., LaFargue C., Tischler V., Weir B.A., Weder W., Meyerson M., Giordano T.J., Moch H., Rubin M.A., TTF1 expression in non-small cell lung carcinoma: association with TTF1 gene amplification and improved survival, J. Pathol., 2009, 217, 65–72CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pelosi G., Barisella M., Pasini F., Leon M.E., Veronesi G., Spaggiari L., Fraggetta F., Iannucci A., Masullo M., Sonzogni A., Maffini F., Viale G., CD117 immunoreactivity in stage I adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the lung: relevance to prognosis in a subset of adenocarcinoma patients, Mod. Pathol., 2004, 17, 711–21CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hirabayashi H., Ohta M., Tanaka H., Sakaguchi M., Fujii Y., Miyoshi S., Matsuda H., Prognostic significance of p27KIP1 expression in resected non-small cell lung cancers: analysis in combination with expressions of p16INK4A, pRB, and p53, J. Surg. Oncol., 2002, 81, 177–84CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Han Z.D., He H.C., Bi X.C., Qin W.J., Dai Q.S., Zou J., Ye Y.K., Liang Y.X., Zeng G.H., Zhu G., Chen Z.N., Zhong W.D., Expression and clinical significance of CD147 in genitourinary carcinomas, J. Surg. Res., 2008, (In press)Google Scholar
- Pelosi G., Pastorino U., Pasini F., Maissoneuve P., Fraggetta F., Iannucci A., Sonzogni A., De Manzoni G., Terzi A., Durante E., Bresaola E., Pezzella F., Viale G., Independent prognostic value of fascin immunoreactivity in stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer, Br. J. Cancer, 2003, 88, 537–47CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hakuma N., Betsuyaku T., Kinoshita I., Itoh T., Kaga K., Kondo S., Nishimura M., Dosaka-Akita H., High incidence of extracellular matrix metalloproteinase inducer expression in non-small cell lung cancers. Association with clinicopathological parameters, Oncology, 2007, 72, 197–204CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Travis W.D., Brambilla E., Muller-Hermelink K.H., Harris C.C., Pathology and genetics of tumours of the lung, pleura, thymus and heart, IARC Press, Lyon 2004, p. 9–124Google Scholar