Secondary cold agglutinin disease associated with Hashimoto disease
- 75 Downloads
Our case involves a 53 year old woman. Three years ago, she was investigated because of normal hemoglobin levels despite very a low erythrocyte count, which was revealed during the preoperative evaluation for ovarian cyst operation. The Direct Coombs test was found to be positive against complement and negative against IgG. Cold agglutinin titer was 1/448 (+). Due to the polyclonal IgM increase, secondary cold agglutinin disease (CAD) was considered but no factor could be found that would lead to cold agglutinin disease. During the post-operative follow-up, cold agglutinin titers increased with fluctuations in the patient. Twenty-four months after transabdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingooopherectomy operation, diagnosis of Hashimoto disease was made upon detection of subclinical hypothyroidism. No case of Hashimoto disease associated with CAD caused by polyclonal IgM has been reported until the present time.
KeywordsCold agglutinin disease Hashimoto disease Lymphocytic thyroiditis Hemolytic anemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Neff A T. Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemias. In: Greer JP, Foerster J, Lukens JN et al., eds. Wintrobe’s Clinical Hematology, Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams& Wilkins, 2004:1157–1182Google Scholar
- Packman CH. Hemolytic Anemia Resulting From Immune Injury. In: Lichtman MA at al., eds. Williams Hematology. New York, McGraw-Hill Medical, 2006:729–750Google Scholar
- Rosse WF, Schrier SL. Clinical features and treatment of autoimmune hemolytic anemia: cold agglutinins. Up To Date. Last literature review version 16.3:Oct 2008Google Scholar
- Lipsky PE, Diamond B. Autoimmunity and Autoimmune Disease. In: Kasper DL at al., eds. Harrison’s Principles Of Internal Medicine. New York, McGraw-Hill MedicalGoogle Scholar
- Lipsky PE. Rheumotoid Arthritis. In: Kasper DL at al., eds. Harrison’s Principles Of Internal Medicine, New York, McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division. 2005:1968–1976Google Scholar
- Jaume JC. Endocrine Autoimmunity. In: Gardner DG at al., eds. Greenspan’s Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. New York McGraw-Hill Medical. 2007:59–79Google Scholar
- Cooper DS, Greenspan FS, Ladenson PW. The Thyroid Gland. In: Gardner DG at al., eds. Greenspan’s Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. New York McGraw-Hill Medical. 2007:264–265Google Scholar
- Sherman SI, Gagel RF. Disorders Affecting Multiple Endocrine Systems. In: Kasper DL at al., eds. Harrison’s Principles Of Internal Medicine. New York, McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division. 2005:2231–2238Google Scholar
- Fagiolo E, Laghi V, Mango G. Case of autoimmune hemolytic anemia and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Policlinico [Prat]. 1969 Nov 10;76(45):1455–1459Google Scholar
- Erdman H, Federlin K, Feyen H, at al. Chronische Kalteagglutininkrankheit bei gleichzeitiger Immunthyreoiditis Med Klin. 1970 Mar 6;65(10):437–442. GermanGoogle Scholar