Aplastic anaemia in childhood. Description of two cases and review of the literature
Childhood aplastic anaemia (AA) is an uncommon but potentially fatal haematological disorder. Patients with AA receive supportive care based on transfusions and timely treatment of opportunistic infections, along with specific therapies, which may be bone marrow transplantation and immunosuppressive therapy. Early diagnosis and supportive therapy are required to prevent fatal complications like overwhelming sepsis or life threatening haemorrhages. We report two cases of aplastic anaemia having a different aetiology. The diagnostic work-up and the therapeutic management for each case are described below.
KeywordsAplastic anaemia Bone marrow transplantation Immunosuppressive therapy Supportive care
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kojima S, Matsuyama T, Kato, S, Kigasawa H, Kobayashi R, Kikuta A., Sakamaki H, Ikuta K, Tsuchida, M., Hoshi Y, Morishima Y, Kodera Y. Outcome of 154 patients with severe aplastic anemia who received transplants from unrelated donors: the Japan Marrow Donor Program. Blood 2002;100:799–803PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- The International Agranulocytosis and Aplastic Anemia Study. Incidence of aplastic anemia: the relevance of diagnostic criteria. Blood 1987;70:1718–1721Google Scholar
- Deka D, Malhotra N, Sinha A, Banerjee N, Kashyap R, Roy KK. Pregnancy associated aplastic anemia: maternal and fetal outcome. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 2003;29(2):67–72Google Scholar
- Schrezenmeier H, Hertenstein B, Wagner B, Raghavachar A, Heimpel H. A pathogenetic link between aplastic anemia and paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria is suggested by a high frequency of aplastic anemia patients with a deficiency of phosphatidylinositol glycan anchored proteins. Exp Hematol 1995; 23(1):81–87PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Locasciulli, A, Oneto R, Bacigalupo A, Socie G, Korthof E, Bekassy A, et al. Outcome of patients with acquired aplastic anaemia given first line bone marrow transplantation or immunosuppression treatment in the last decade: a report from the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT). Haematologica 2007; 92:10–17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Champlin RE, Perez WS, Passweg J, Klein JP, Camitta BM, Gluckman E, et al. Addition of antithymocyte globulin (ATG) to cyclophosphamide (Cy) for HLA-identical sibling allogeneic bone marrow transplantation (BMT) for severe aplastic anaemia (SAA): results of a randomized controlled trial. Blood 2003;269aGoogle Scholar
- Scheinberg P, Wu CO, Nunez O, Young NS. Predicting response and survival or severe aplastic anemia patients treated with immunosuppression. ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2007;110:504aGoogle Scholar