Thermoluminescence age of quartz xenocrysts in basaltic lava from Oninomi monogenetic volcano, northern Kyushu, Japan
- 55 Downloads
We determined the eruption age of basaltic rocks by application of thermoluminescence (TL) method, which is often used for TL dating, to quartz. Mafic magma only rarely includes quartz because of their mutual disequilibration. The basaltic lavas reported herein include quartz as xenocrysts, as corroborated by their rounded or anhedral shape.
The basaltic lava used for this study is from the Oninomi monogenetic volcano in northern Kyushu, Japan. The volcano eruption was estimated as occurring 7.3–29 ka because the lava exists between two widespread tephras: Aira-Tanzawa ash (26–29 ka) and Kikai-Akahoya ash (7.3 ka). We succeed-ed in collecting ca. 200 mg of quartz by decomposition of 30 kg of the lava samples. TL measurements for the lava indicate the eruption age as 15.8 ± 2.5 ka, which is fairly consistent with the stratigraphical estimation. Although the TL method has played a considerable part in constraining the timescale of Quaternary events, its application has been limited to silicic samples. The present result demonstrates the availability of quartz for dating even of mafic rock.
KeywordsOninomi monogenetic volcano basaltic rocks thermoluminescence dating quartz xenocrysts eruption age
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adamiec G and Aitken MJ, 1998. Dose-rate conversion factors: update. Ancient TL 16: 37–50.Google Scholar
- Aitken MJ, 1985. Thermoluminescence Dating. Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Gillot PY, Valladas G and Reyss JL, 1978. Dating of lava flow using a granitic enclave: Application to the Laschamp magnetic event. PACT (Journal of the European Study Group on Physical, Chemical and Mathematical Techniques Applied to Archaeology) 2: 165–173.Google Scholar
- Ichikawa Y, Hagihara N and Nagatomo T, 1982. Dating of pyroclastic flow deposits using the quartz inclusion method. PACT (Journal of the European Study Group on Physical, Chemical and Mathematical Techniques Applied to Archaeology): 409–416.Google Scholar
- Itoh Y, Takemura K and Kamata H, 1998. History of basin formation and tectonic evolution at the termination of a large transcurrent fault system: deformation mode of central Kyushu, Japan. Tecto-nophysics 284(1–2): 135–150, DOI 10.1016/S0040-1951(97)00167-4.Google Scholar
- Kanemaki M, Ninagawa K, Yamamoto I, Nakagawa M, Wada T, Yamashita Y and Endo K, 1991. Red thermoluminescence of volcanic glass fractions from tephras. International Journal of Radiation Applications and Instrumentation. Part D. Nuclear Tracks and Radiation Measurements 18(1–2): 81–88, DOI 10.1016/1359-0189(91)90097-2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kita I, Yamanoto M, Asakawa Y, Nakagawa M, Taguchi S and Hasegawa H, 2001. Contemporaneous ascent of within-plate type and is-land-arc type magmas in the Beppu-Shimabara graben system, Kyushu island, Japan. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 111(1–4): 99–109, DOI 10.1016/S0377-0273 (01)00222-0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Machida H and Arai F, 2003. Atlas of tephra in and around Japan. University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Miallier D, Condomines M, Pilleyre T, Sanzelle S and Guittet J, 2004. Concordant thermoluminescence and 238U-230Th ages for a trachytic dome (Grand Sarcoui) from the Chaîne des Puys (French Massif central). Quaternary Science Reviews 23(5–6): 709–715, DOI 10.1016/j.quascirev.2003.06.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nagatomo T, Shitaoka Y and Kunikita D, 2007. IRSL Dating of the Sediments at the Neolithic Sites in the Russian Far East. Bulletin of Nara University of Education 56(2): 1–6. (in Japanese, with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Ohta T, Hasenaka T, Ban M and Sasaki M, 1992. Characteristic Geology and Petrology of non-arc type volcanism at Oninomi monogenetic volcano, Yufu-Tsurumi graben. Bulletin of the Volcanological Society of Japan 37: 119–131. (in Japanese, with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Takashima I, Nasution A and Muraoka H, 2002. Thermoluminescence dating of volcanic and altered rocks in the Bajawa geothermal area, central Flores Island, Indonesia. Bulletin of the Geological Survey of Japan 53: 139–142.Google Scholar
- Takashima I, Nazari AA, Lim PS, Koseki T, Mouri Y, Nasution A and Eddy Sucipta IGB, 2004. Thermoluminescence age determination of quaternary volcanic rocks and alteration products at Tawau area, Sabah, Malaysia. Journal of the Geothermal Research Society of Japan 26(3): 273–283.Google Scholar
- Tsukamoto S, Duller GAT, Wintle AG and Muhs D, 2011. Assessing the potential for luminescence dating of basalts. Quaternary Geo-chronology 6(1): 61–70, DOI 10.1016/j.quageo.2010.04.002.Google Scholar
- Yamamoto J, Nishimura K, Sugimoto T, Takemura K, Takahata N and Sano Y, 2009. Diffusive fractionation of noble gases in mantle with magma channels: Origin of low He/Ar in mantle-derived rocks. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 280(1–4): 167–174, DOI 10.1016/j.epsl.2009.01.029.CrossRefGoogle Scholar