Sensitivity of imaging properties of metal-dielectric layered flat lens to fabrication inaccuracies
- 64 Downloads
We characterize the sensitivity of imaging properties of a layered silver-TiO2 flat lens to fabrication inaccuracies. The lens is designed for approximately diffraction-free imaging with subwavelength resolution at distances in the order of a wavelength. Its operation may be attributed to self-collimation with a secondary role of Fabry-Perot resonant transmission, even though the first order effective medium description of the structure is inaccurate. Super-resolution is maintained for a broad range of overall thicknesses and the total thickness of the multilayer is limited by absorption. The tolerance analysis indicates that the resolution and transmission efficiency are highly sensitive to small changes of layer thicknesses.
Keywordsplasmonics nanophotonics nanolenses, super-resolution metal-dielectric multilayers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.M. Scalora, G. D’Aguanno, N. Mattiucci, M. J. Bloemer, D. Ceglia, M. Centini, A. Mandatori, C. Sibilia, N. Akozbek, M.G. Cappeddu, M. Fowler, and J. Haus, “Negative refraction and sub-wavelength focusing in the visible range using transparent metallo-dielectric stacks”, Opt. Express 15, 508–523 (2007).CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 15.C.P. Moore, M.D. Arnold, P.J. Bones, and R.J. Blaikie, “Analysis and comparison of simulation techniques for silver superlenses”, Proc. Int. Conf. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, ICONN 2008, 210–213 (2008).Google Scholar
- 23.R. Kotyński, T. Stefaniuk, and A. Pastuszczak, “Sub-wavelength diffraction-free imaging with low-loss metal-dielectric multilayers”, ArXiv:1002.0658. (submitted to J. Appl. Phys. A, 2010)Google Scholar
- 27.J.W. Goodman, Introduction to Fourier Optics, Roberts & Co Publ., 3rd ed., 2005.Google Scholar
- 28.B. Saleh and M. Teich, Fundamentals of Photonics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2nd ed., 2007.Google Scholar
- 32.http://www.photond.com/products/crystalwave.htm (an overview of the computation engine implemented in the Crystal Wave tool by the Photon Design Ltd., Oxford).
- 34.H.V. Baghdasaryan, T.M. Knyazyan, T.H. Baghdasaryan, and G.G. Eyramjyan, “Development of the method of single expression (MSE) for analysis of plane wave oblique incidence on multilayer structures having complex permittivity and permeability”, Proc. ICTON’2008, Vol. 1, 250–254 (2008).Google Scholar
- 35.H.V. Baghdasaryan, T.M. Knyazyan, and G.G. Eyramjyan, “Electrodynamical analysis of a transmittive metal-dielectric microstructure by the method of single expression”, Proc. European Microwave Association 4, 76–81 (2008).Google Scholar